Chapter 11

"Shit! You guys left me out there all night! I had to fight off the coyotes and the raccoons! It was brutal!" Duff lumbered through the front door and right into the kitchen.

"Yeah well I'm sure you had no problem fighting them off. You're basically a Sasquatch, McKagan!" Axl yelled back, earning a few chuckles from around the room.

I immediately tensed up at the thought of having to face him. There was no alcohol in my system now, just a looming hangover that was making the room spin. He walked in the room and I shot my head down, the guilt of what I had done last night with Axl sinking in.

Not only did I use Axl, but I did it just to hurt someone I still considered to be my best friend despite all that happened. I didn't know what to do or how to escape. My heart started going a mile a minute, as if it was trying to bust out of my chest. Duff got himself some food and sat down on the other side of the table, too preoccupied with eating to notice me.

"Hey, are you okay? You look like you just saw a ghost." Axl must have caught on to my growing discomfort.

"Yeah, you don't look so good." Josie added with concern.

"Um, I forgot to call my friend back last night, she wanted me to check in, um, she must be worried. I've gotta, uh, go do that."

Duff glanced up from his food and did a double take. I could feel his eyes drilling a hole right into my skull.

"Wait, let me get your number first. I would really like to see you again." Axl grabbed my hand but I snatched it away.

"Josie has it, she can give it to you. I just really have to go." I darted up and grabbed my jacket from off the couch, practically running out of the house.

I didn't know how to get back to the campus, so I just made a left turn and ran as fast as I could. After all that I had been through I thought I had it all figured out, but apparently bottling up your feelings only led to confusion and bad drunken mistakes. I ran for a block before stopping and sitting in a dirty alleyway, trying to suppress the feeling of panic that hit me like a wave.

I looked up at the blue sky, partially hidden by a blanket of smog. I tried to regain a sense of calmness that was disturbed by a fit of laughter.

It was actually pretty funny in a pathetic, romantic comedy kinda way.

I was starting to loose it a little. I tried to breathe deeply for awhile to get some oxygen to my brain, hoping that it would lead to some epiphany that would result in a way out of this mess.

After about ten minutes, I figured it was about time I try to find my way back to my dorm. I stood up and started walking out of the alleyway, right before I someone tug on my arm and I was suddenly facing the one person I was hoping to avoid. Duff.

"What the hell was that? We haven't seen each other in months and you just run out on me?"

Shit.

"That's a bit much considering you left me first." I managed to croak out.

"I'm sorry that I was given an opportunity I'd be fucking stupid to loose! I feel like crap about what happened back home but I don't regret leaving. Not one fucking bit!"

I looked up at his face. He looked tired, almost older now that he was awake rather than passed out drunk.

"But you didn't even call once! You know what, fuck it, I don't have time to argue with you about this shit!"

I walked away, leaving him behind without even bothering to look back.