Chapter 3

A/N: I own nothing yet. Enjoy!

***********************************

She had said that she would see him around, but Percy had not expected to see Lady Annabeth so soon after the engagement party.

Percy was forced to attend the next day's Imperial Olympian hunting party, as he was the official ambassador from the Atlantis Empire. He never liked hunting, as he held no talent for archery and killing innocent animals for sport was not his cup of tea. But horseback riding was easy and a stress reliever to him.

Jason had called in a favor for Percy to distract from the crown prince's planned disappearance from the main hunting party. Percy could guess at the reason why, and it was one word starting with the letter "P" and and ending with "-iper".

It was no difficult feat as the party of noblemen soon went hot on the heels of a large deer. Percy pulled back to the edges of the group and let the others take charge.

It was then he happened to catch a glance of sparking blue water. Was there a pond or something? Perhaps his horse, Blackjack, would like a drink of cool water after galloping for so long.

Curious and already bored of the hunt, Percy steered Blackjack towards the water. He soon found himself among a small lake, concealed with dense brush and pine trees.

"Fancy seeing you here, Lady Annabeth."

***********************************

"Oh my gods!"

Her pencil slipped in her hand and drew a dark line in the middle of her design. Annabeth had been so absorbed in sketching her new design for the greenhouse that she didn't notice the Earl on a horse right beside her.

He looked regal perched on his black horse like that, his brown leather hunting gear quite dashing on his figure. She frowned as she squinted up at him. Still, no matter how handsome one was, he shouldn't have been so quiet or sneaky like that.

"I apologize. It looks like I keep startling you every time we meet." The Earl descended from his horse and handed her the pencil she dropped.

"I imagine your stealth must have come in handy from your days at war, Your Grace." Annabeth commented as she accepted the pencil.

"True," the Earl smiled lightly. "But it seems my lady was too engrossed in her sketch. May I have a look?"

She shrugged. Usually she kept her designs a secret, but what was the harm in showing them? The design was now marred anyways. "It's nothing much."

"You're much too modest. It's absolutely stunning. You have an eyes for these things, Lady Annabeth."

Oh? What's this? As a member of the nobility, Annabeth was used to hearing compliments devoid of any sincerity. But Percy's words seemed to be genuine.

"I'm no expert on architecture or art, but I like the way these arches look." He handed her sketchbook back to her with a friendly grin.

"Thank you," she said. "Would you like to have a seat, Your Grace?"

A plan began forming in her head. Duchess Athena always had a plan. And now, so would Lady Annabeth.

What was that Percy had said before? A marriage to a man like him?

Well, Annabeth supposed that wouldn't be too bad. She didn't believe all the rumors about him, especially with what Jason had told her about Percy and her first impression of him.

The Earl was friendly, an expert swordsman on the field, wealthy enough to please her family even if he was an illegitimate child, and also easy on the eyes. Annabeth had good judgement of people (or at least she hoped so), and Percy happened to complete every requirement she needed. Unfortunately, she knew that he was also not in the market for a wife. She would just have to find a way to change his mind.