Chapter 8

Annabeth had always been observant since the day she was born. It was due to those skills that she had managed to memorize the patterns of the guards in her family's mansion by the age of seven. With that knowledge, she had easily managed to sneak out of the mansion to go to town outings dressed as a mere commoner. The guards' pattern hadn't changed much since then, and Annabeth soon found herself out of the house where a nondescript rider with a black horse was waiting for her.

"Nice ride, Seaweed Brain."

"What's this?" Percy chuckled. "No greetings of Your Grace, or even Percy?"

"We're just simple commoners going out on an outing to the town. No titles today." Annabeth was exuberant, and she let it show in her smiles.

Of course, if she wanted to go out to the Imperial capital city, her family would have let her but only if she took her maid and two guards with her in the family carriage. If she mentioned that she would be going with the Earl, her father would demand even more people go. That would be troublesome indeed. She would have to be Lady Annabeth at all times, suffering under the veneer of polite noble formality.

She was dressed as a milking maid today, with a white cotton blouse tucked into a simple blue skirt and a rough woolen cloak to protect from any sudden rain. To match with her, Percy was dressed in a stable man's garb. Even Blackjack was in disguise, with a worn down saddle and all the Earl's crest designs removed. Still, the rough clothes couldn't hide the way Percy's black hair landed in soft inky waves over his high forehead or the bright green eyes she'd come to love.

"No titles sound good to me." Percy said cheerily.

This time, Annabeth accepted Percy's help to get up on Blackjack. No normal female commoner would be trained in equestrian skills, and she was determined to play the part dutifully. Percy swung up behind her easily.

The sun was shining, a rare sunny day in the rainy season. Annabeth breathed in the smells of the dewy grass from the previous night's rain as Blackjack trotted along the road. It was a glorious morning, riding on a horse with Percy's firm embrace around her.

"Do you have a habit of sneaking out of your house dressed as a milking maid?"

"Of course not." Annaebth turned around and winked. "Sometimes I sneak out dressed as a maid."

"Hmm," Percy murmured. "A maid, huh?"

Annabeth quirked her eyebrow in question.

"I think it would be quite nice to see you dressed up as a maid, just like in the stories you were reading in the library that time. Like a maid who seduces the Duke?"

She swatted at his arm. "Oh, shush. You're never going to let me live that down, aren't you?"

He laughed, nuzzling his chin at the top of her head. She was considered tall for a woman, but Percy was still taller than her. The perfect height to lean down and plant a kiss on her lips. "Not at all, Annabeth."

Annabeth leaned back into his warm chest. "Well, I suppose I'll have to wear a maid uniform some time then, but only this time it'll be a maid who seduces the Earl."

Percy's laugh turned into a strangled gasp.

She was reminded of the time when Percy and she had ridden his horse together after the hunt. This time, Percy had no hesitation in wrapping his arm around her waist while the other kept a steady hold on the reins. Annabeth felt comfortable leaning against him, even angling her head so he could press a soft kiss on her temple. Unfortunately, they were trotting along a fairly busy road and that would be the most they could do.