Chapter 19

"Lacy, you were the informant?" Annabeth asked.

The young girl nodded, the tiredness evident in her eyes. She was courageous for undergoing all those ordeals, Annabeth felt. Going against one's father was never easy, even if one's father was a murderous son of a bitch.

"Thank you," Percy said. "Things could have gone a lot worse."

"I should have spoken up sooner. Or did something sooner instead of letting my father slap around my mother and other women so often." Lacy's eyes started to brim with tears. "I could have stopped all this before it escalated."

"Nonsense. The fact that you did speak up is commendable," Rachel tutted. "You will be a fantastic trainee at the temple of Apollo."

The leader of the women who helped in the counterattack came by. "It's been a while, Captain Jackson. Or I should say Earl Perseus Jackson."

"Lieutenant Zoe," Percy bowed his head in respect.

"Last time I saw you, you were just a wolf cub. Now you have grown into a fine man of your own."

"Thank you, Lieutenant. I'm truly grateful for all you've done." Percy turned to Annabeth. "Lady Zoe is the leader of Huntresses of Artemis, a sister subdivision of the priestesses of Apollo. We've fought alongside during the war."

Annabeth's eyes widened admiringly. "I've heard of the Huntresses of Artemis! I've always wanted to be a part of them. Well, that is, until I got married," she added ruefully. "Truly, thank you for all you've done."

The beautiful woman laughed. "And a fine addition you would have made! Pity that you must take a vow of virginity to take part, and judging by your marriage, you are most certainly not a virgin."

Annabeth was grateful that the darkness of night and grime hid her burgeoning blush.

"Let us all head somewhere safer. The storm is picking up up again." Percy said grimly. "We'll worry about the whereabouts of Baron Rodrick later. He won't survive in this weather."

Percy held his cloak over Annabeth's head. Annabeth squeezed his hand, knowing that in addition to covering her from rain, he was trying to block out the bodies that were in view.

Percy hustled her off the ship. Besides him, Annabeth could feel him shaking. Whether from the cold, fear, or anger, she didn't know.

They ended up not going back to the hotel, in case any of the baron's men were still on standby. Rachel gave them a room in their rented safehouse and bid them good night.

As soon as Rachel left and the door was closed, Annabeth found her back pressed against the wall.

Percy captured her lips in a searing kiss, full of urgency and need. His tongue elicited gasps, stealing every chance of taking a breath. Every time she opened her mouth to talk, he just swallowed the words right out of her.

Annabeth let him do as he pleased, savoring the warm feel of his body pressed against hers. He was here with her. No other rude surprises in the form of kidnappings or battles from rejected suitors would come now.

Her fingers laced in his hair, making it more ruffled than it was. Gods, she was never going to be tired of this.

At last after making her lips thoroughly swollen and bruised, he ended up holding her, burrowing her face in the crook of his neck and shoulder.

"I thought you were hurt," Percy said quietly. "I really believed he had you. You could have gotten hurt so easily."

"I'm here." Annabeth said simply.