Chapter 10

Annabeth blinked and then narrowed her eyes. "So you don't want me to help you assassinate Jason?"

Percy threw his head back and laughed. He had been expecting an outright rejection, and certainly not words like that. "No, why would I want you to do that? I don't want Piper on my tail for revenge. Here, let's sit down. I want to talk to you about some things."

He helped her up, and they walked to the bleachers. All the while, his mind was in a flurry of nervousness. Why the hell did he blurt out a proposal to Annabeth at that specific time? Sure, Percy was going to do it eventually, but he had planned to propose in a library or rose garden, not in a dusty arena where he looked absolutely filthy and sweaty. Somehow Annabeth still looked absolutely stunning, despite going through a bout of dueling.

Perhaps what made him suddenly propose on the spot was the way his heart beat fast every time she smiled at him. When she was in his arms, everything felt all right. All the anxiety just melted away.

They ended up sitting by the viewing chairs by the arena.

"Alright, what did you want to talk to me about, Your Grace?"

Percy squeezed her hand gently, relishing the warmth coming from her hand. "I'm just going to drop the formalities, because I want to talk to you as just Percy Jackson. Not Earl Percy Jackson, just regular old Percy, a man who wants to talk to Annabeth."

She nodded seriously, squeezing his hand back. "Alright. I'm just plain ole Annabeth for me."

"You'd never be plain, Annabeth. Too pretty for that."

"Oh, shush," she laughed.

He took a deep breath. "Let me just start off by saying I really, really like spending time with you. I-I think you're absolutely fantastic." Her cheeks flushed lightly. Adorable. Truly just adorable. He placed a kiss on the back of her hand. "I really do like you. I don't think I've ever been truly in love with anyone in my life, so I can't say if what I'm feeling is love. But I do want to let you know about how you feel, and how I feel is that I really like you. And if these feelings do turn into love, then I am all for it."

Gods, that was embarrassing to say. But Annabeth's expression made up for everything, with her grey eyes shining with emotion. "For what it's worth, Percy, I like you, too." She looked shyly at her lap. "I don't think I've ever enjoyed spending time with anyone else than with you."

Ugh, his heart was going to burst if he could. Percy lowered his head and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. "I'm going to be upfront with you. About everything. I received a letter two days ago from the Atlantis Empire."

"What did the letter say?"

He grimaced. "It was from the Royal Family of Atlantis requesting that I marry."

"Oh." Her lips formed a round shape.

"Unfortunately, I've been engaged to a noblewoman in the Atlantis Empire, most likely for political reasons. I'm sure you've heard about my parentage, since it's not exactly the best-kept secret," he said sarcastically.

Percy could practically see the gears turning in her head. What a smart and beautiful woman. "So in order to prevent that, you would send them news that you are already engaged."

"Almost 100% correct."

"Hmph. I don't get almost 100% correct on tests. It's all or nothing." Annabeth thought for a few moments. "I suppose if you send news that you are already engaged, they still have the authority to force you to break off that engagement and accept their terms. You'd have to be married first, and then it would be far too messy and complicated to get a divorce."