Chapter 6

Jason and Piper broke apart to a respectable distance at Percy's cough.

"Congratulations on your win, Earl Perseus." Jason said smoothly.

"Indeed." Piper was not as smooth though, with her cheeks slightly pink.

But Annabeth's eyes were flitting all over him, almost as if checking his armor. Then a slow hand extended and accepted the rose he held out. Lady Annabeth sniffed the sweet perfume of the rose. "Thank you for the rose, Your Grace. It smells lovely."

"Not as fragrant as you." And he truly meant that, not like the first time had complimented her at the ball.

Now it was Jason's and Piper's turn to make annoyed and disgusted expressions. Thalia rolled her eyes. Payback time.

"Is that the last round you're going to do, Your Grace?" Duchess Piper asked.

"Yes, one round is enough."

Originally, he had not planned on participating in the jousting tournament. But Percy had seen how a few noblemen had strode up to the Imperial tent and tried to give Lady Annabeth their roses. Tried being the key word. It gave him a petty satisfaction to see her turn them away.

But would she accept one from him?

It was easy to convince the tournament organizer to get him in the next match. Lord Beckendorf was a good man and friend, but Percy had a goal to give the lady he was favoring a rose. He would apologize to Lord Beckendorf by sending him a good barrel of Atlantis mead and his lover some fine wine-filled chocolates.

"Drat. The wind is picking up again." Jason frowned as attendants swarmed to the Imperial tent's poles to steady them from the wind.

The rainy season was beginning to take firmer hold in the Olympus Kingdom, as dark clouds began rolling in. "Well, the tournament will be cancelled soon if this weather keeps up. Shall we head inside, love?" Jason asked.

"All right. Then we'll head back inside first, Your Grace, Lady Annabeth."

The Duchess mouthed something to Lady Annabeth, something that seemed suspiciously like good luck. "I'm taking the Imperial carriage with His Highness for a dinner with the Emperor, and my carriage was unfortunately sent back to my estate. Your Grace, you wouldn't mind taking Lady Annabeth back to her home, would you?" The brunette beauty smiled innocently. "Lady Annabeth took my carriage earlier so she has no ride home."

"I would be honored to, so long as Lady Annabeth agrees."

The interesting lady only mouthed something like I'll get you back to her friend. "If the Earl does not mind, then I have no qualms."

"Allow me to escort you then, my lady."

Lady Annabeth tucked her gloved hand into his arm. She was wearing a emerald green dress today, a color similar to the hue of his eyes. Had she noticed that or done that on purpose? Whatever the reasoning, the green was a nice backdrop for the red rose she held in her other hand.

They were soon bundled into his carriage. Not a moment too soon as the clouds unleashed their bounty.

"Your skills on the field were really commendable. I didn't expect you to move so fast. Not to mention you were up against Lord Beckendorf as well." She looked nervously at his chest again.

He could see the slight furrows in her forehead. So she was looking for injuries. That was why she had been staring at him intensely when he was offering her the rose. "Oh my, were you worried about me?"

Lady Annabeth scowled. Usually ladies didn't express such emotions outright. "Don't make me regret expressing my concern. I was really worried you might have been hurt. Last time some punk insulted Lord Beckendorf's lover and that idiot was instantly pummeled to the ground by Lord Beckendorf at jousting."