Chapter 15

The letter from the royals of the Atlantis Empire did not take long to arrive. Percy handed the letter over to his wife, who was curled up on his lap. Niles, the butler, poured them both cups of tea, now used to the frequent public displays of affection between the couple in the house.

"So they want to meet me?" Annabeth asked.

"My father would not have minded whomever I marry. Queen Amphitrite is another story. I'm sure she's furious although she can do nothing about it now."

Indeed, Queen Amphitrite had cast out the poor innocent servant who had delivered the unfortunate news to her. Unknowing of Annabeth's relationship to the royal Olympian family and Duchess lineage, the Queen only soothed her nerves when she realized her husband's favored son had married a lowly Baron's daughter, unable to provide much political influence. Her son, Prince Triton, would still have his heir position unchallenged. All she had to do was still remain an elegant and regal Queen, and face the Earl and his new wife with as much dignity as possible.

Percy planted a soft kiss on her temple as though he'd been doing it for all his life. "After the royal meeting, I'd like for you to meet the rest of my family. Then I have to spend at least a few months at the sea mines for an annual operation check up."

Annabeth leaned against his shoulders. "I want to meet your mother and stepfather. And it sounds like your baby sister, Estelle, is quite a handful. Just like my husband," she teased.

"Hey, I don't go around biting things without discrimination like Estelle does. Mother wrote to me detailing how she had to pry the remnants of her favorite feather pen from Estelle's mouth." He bent his head to her ear, knowing from experience that her ears were quite sensitive. "But I guess I don't mind biting places that are on you."

Annabeth thwacked him painlessly with the light letter. "Manners, Your Grace. We're not in our bed chamber."

"Then why sit on my lap in the first place? It's quite distracting from work, though I must admit I don't mind the slightest. Besides, no one else would mind it if we made love in my office."

The butler did mind, however, and quietly slipped out of the Earl's office. Niles was beginning to think that he was the only single man in the mansion as he rounded the corner and found a maid and footman in the throes of a very intimate embrace. He sighed and headed towards the kitchens for a mug of ale as a remedy to his loneliness. Perhaps he should accept the blind dates his mother was hinting at after all.

"Now look what you've done," reprimanded Annabeth. "Niles never looks at me quite in the eye anymore."

"Well, perhaps he and the maids will knock louder when they comes to wake us up in the morning. My beautiful wife is far too tempting. Besides, I do remember you being quite a willing participant."

But important matters were at hand. Annabeth and he soon resumed their discussion for the trip to the Atlantis Empire. Percy had already expected the call from the Atlantis Empire when he sent a letter and a copy of the marriage certificate in response to the royal letter decreeing he marry. His ships had been undergoing check ups and repairs to prepare for the sea voyage since then. Supplies for the voyage were already delivered, and according to his mother, she had already prepared embarrassing stories of his childhood to share with her new daughter-in-law.

"I've never traveled away from the Olympian Kingdom," Annabeth said. Her eyes sparkled in anticipation of the trip. "Let alone imagine I'll be able to travel on a ship."

"You'll love seeing the Atlantis Empire sights," he promised. "There's nothing quite like seeing the architecture of the Royal Palace. Half of the castle floats in the water, but the more beautiful half is actually underwater. There's a gallery where the walls and floor are constructed of industrial glass held in place by volcanic diamonds. You can see all sorts of ocean creatures and sea folk like merpeople swimming by."