Rodney

With a sigh, for the fiftieth time, Rodney glanced at the closed door that Maxine disappeared behind. Only a few minutes had passed by and already Michael was starting to get on his last nerves. All the man talked about was their boss driving them crazy at work as if the weekend wasn't here. Michael was obsessed. And it didn't help that Cortes encouraged him. But now, Cortes was starting to become jaded, too, only offering one-worded replies. Rodney exhaled and looked at Maxine's bedroom door again. The pretty little thing had shut it with a seductive smile that promised the first of many splendid nights Rodney could hope for.

He didn't hear much behind the closed door but the hushed voices of Maxine and the friend. He recalled his encounter with Maxine earlier with all of them standing there. He could tell that she hadn't expected his two friends to be there and instantly felt dumb for bringing them along. He thought she'd feel weird if it was just the two of them hanging out since they were strangers, but apparently she didn't. In his head, though he asked for her number, he wasn't the one day in and day out flirting with her—that was Michael. So he thought if he brought a familiar face or two along, he'd relay the message of them just getting to know each other as friends to put her at ease, and not make it seem like he was expecting anything from her. She had countered this smoothly by saying she had meant to bring her own friend along, too. That girl that was standing several feet away from all of them and staring directly at Rodney as if he couldn't see her staring. As if he was in some movie and it was alright. Michael quit discussing work to make fun of her for it.

"Man, her large eyes bulged out of her head. Bulged!" he laughed and Cortes followed. Rodney turned to look at them coldly, but Michael only continued. "I think she likes you, Rodney. She looked at you like you were the one."

"You can't be serious right now," Rodney groaned.

"I hope Maxine's not bringing her for one of us," Cortes said, "No thanks, I'll get some at the party."

"Exactly. And it's just not fair. I saw Maxine first," Michael said.

Rodney smirked as he picked at the cushions and listened to the two of them whine, feeling like the man. Maxine had nice, soft hair, a curvaceous figure, great style, and a smile to die for. Plus, she was easy to talk to. He didn't know much about her, but she just had to be girlfriend material. She had to be the one for him. If he got with her, men would envy him left and right.

"Her friend is not for me. Nigga, please. She better find someone else at the party," Michael muttered.

Rodney and Cortes shared a chuckle as Michael grumbled over the situation. "With her chicken legs, she better find someone."

When Cortes' laughter picked up, Rodney shook his head, but the smile was still on his face. Whenever Cortes started laughing so much, it usually meant he was up to something.

"I dare you to," was all he said.

"No way!" Michael grimaced.

"Oh, c'mon. At the party," Cortes replied.

"Nothing would get me to. Nothing," Michael said and Rodney paused.

"I mean...she kinda isn't bad-looking," Rodney admitted.

And it was true, the girl wasn't. She was just...plain and too skinny...and definitely not up to par with Maxine in terms of style. He cringed, remembering her denim overalls and the button down underneath it.

"She's got zero experience with guys, I could tell you that by just looking at her. She's like Judy off of Family Matters. Nobody cares about Judy," Michael said and Cortes' laughter picked up. As soon as it did, the door opened.