Alicia

It was scorching outside, so she couldn't wear a jacket to cover her house clothes. She had to completely change. Quickly, she threw on a skirt and fitted tee before heading out. Rodney was leaning by the side of her building, waiting for her. When he saw her arrive, he gestured they go. She sighed, not believing he actually meant to follow her.

It felt strange walking down the street beside him. As they walked, he walked with confidence—truthfully, arrogance, as though he were God's gift to earth. He kept his eyes straight ahead—he couldn't be bothered with noticing those around him. He just stood tall and unapproachable, even the air around Rodney moved differently. And women knew it. They looked. Many did double takes. Several looked at her, perplexed, silently wondering what was he doing with someone like her? Alicia wished she could sink into the concrete. They didn't know that she wasn't with him. She wouldn't be by a long shot. Rodney didn't seem to notice any of the women staring at him.

"How long have you been a construction worker again?" she asked.

"17. Fresh out of high school," he said.

"...did you ever think about more schooling?" she asked and when he frowned at her added, "Seriously."

He shrugged, "I thought about it, but...by the time I was a senior—I don't know."

She didn't want to push him to say more if he wasn't ready to, but she did want to genuinely know. What made him not consider college his senior year of high school? A math whiz like him was certainly gifted. He could've excelled while in college. Was it money? Or worst? They got to the train station and waited for the train in silence. It was a little awkward, but she thought it best not to say anything just in case they got into an argument again. As the train came, he folded his arms over his chest and jutted his chin out to her with that cocky, raised eyebrow of his and a bored expression.

"So, what's your story? How'd you started working at Electric?" he asked.

So, she told him about how she applied two years ago while she was still in school. How at first, it was a wonderful experience, but as time passed, it was like a veil was lifted from her eyes.

"Sophomore?" he asked, "You've been working at that magazine since you were a sophomore and they haven't given you at least a raise? Why do they still consider you an intern?"

"I don't know," she said, "Me and my partner on this project started around the same time. But the editor's son is starting next week fresh out of college and he's going to be the fiction editor. Next week, there's going to be a celebration for him at my job that my partner and I put together. It's not fair, but I get it, I guess."

"I don't. Why do people always say networking works when it doesn't? It's a waste of time to me. You work for a couple of years only for nepotism to occur. Life is a joke," Rodney said.

"You could say that again," Alicia rested her head on the window.

It grew silent between them once more as the train propelled on. Light invaded the car as the train emerged from underground and soared over Harlem. They were heading towards the upper west side. Alicia side-glanced Rodney and saw that he was already studying at her. A nervous pang struck her in the stomach and she sat up, rambling her head for things to say, but realized she didn't want to talk anymore about her job with him. He didn't have to know about her issues. Especially since she promised herself she wouldn't be seeing him after this day was over. They were going to stay strangers.

They got to Lotus about half an hour later. The building was spacious and jaw-dropping, just like the pictures she saw online. Someone greeted them and gave them a tour of the place. At the end, Alicia expressed her interest in the building for her event and the worker promised to have a contract drafted by end of tomorrow that she could pick up.