Rodney

Five Years Later

The plane touched down at noon. It was a warm April day with blossoms budding on tree branches. Rodney wheeled his suitcase through the airport, thinking about stopping to get a coffee, wondering if he had the time. He was dressed in a black suit, holding onto a briefcase with his free hand.

As he headed to a nearby café, a woman bumped into him. She was dressed stylishly in high heels, sunglasses, and a long coat with fur collars. She only held one Prada bag. A few people surrounded her, holding her designer luggage. Rodney frowned but decided to apologize though it wasn't his fault.

"I'm sorry about that—" he said.

She rose a hand to silence him, "Get away from me."

She stalked off as her group followed her. Rodney was left there with his eyebrows raised. After a second, he shook his head and cracked a smile.

"Rodney!"

He turned around. Standing there was Granham, his driver, and Hugo. He grinned and went over to them, shaking their hands. After, Hugo brought him in for a bear hug.

"You didn't have to leave your office to come out and greet me. I know how busy you can be," Rodney said.

"Nonsense, it's great to see you back on the east coast again," Hugo said.

"It's a great to be here, sir," Rodney said.

"Why don't I take you out to lunch? You can see some of the new board members. They're anxiously awaiting to meet you," Hugo said.

Hugo was the senior director of their New York branch for their architecture firm, Browne HDK. Their headquarters was out in Los Angeles. For the past year since Rodney joined them, he divided his time out between living in LA and visiting NYC. Hugo was always trying to get Rodney to meet people, because Rodney was the youngest and hottest thing out in the architect world right now.

Rodney wanted to decline since it had been a long flight, but he decided it'd be good for business.

"Sure, lunch sounds great," he smiled.

Hugo gestured Granham take Rodney's things and Granham rushed to do so.

"Hugo! Is that you?" a voice called.

The two men turned and trotting up to them was the woman from earlier. Hugo waved at her politely, but Rodney could tell that he didn't want to be bothered with the rude woman.

"Cara, you're back in New York? What happened to Milan?" Hugo asked.

"Can you believe my father cancelled my trip because of that stupid dating scandal?" Cara asked.

"Well, it is all over the papers. Rodney, this is Cara. Her family owns the Alfa banks scattered across the U.S. and Europe, and a number of prestigious hotels and restaurants. Cara, Rodney is—" Hugo started.

"Hm, he's really good-looking, Hugo," Cara said, examining Rodney, "But in my world, what man isn't? What is he an actor or something? I've dated a few of those already. Boring! I'm looking for a guy with a little more substance these days, you know?"

Rodney managed not to roll his eyes. He wanted nothing more than to go to his hotel already. He wouldn't be in New York for long. Only for the weekend.

"Oh! Before I leave you, you have got to tell me about the man that designed that new club out in LA. Everyone in Hollywood is talking about him. I hear he's planning on re-designing a few hotels next. If I can convince him to work with my daddy, I'll be on my daddy's good side. Heck, maybe I can date this architect, too," Cara gushed.