Alicia

As December approached them, temperatures dropped below the 20s. Alicia wanted nothing more than to stay indoors as much as possible, but she decided to accompany Maxine to the store. She's been seeing so much of Rodney that she hadn't spent time with her friend lately.

"You know, sometimes I think of going back to school and switching careers," Maxine said. "Being an RN, though the pay is amazing, when you're Black, they pile so much work on to you sometimes. It's serious abuse."

"Then do it. Go back to school," Alicia said.

"Then I wouldn't be able to afford to pay my share of the rent and would have to move back in with my parents. I can't bring any guys over like that," Maxine said and Alicia laughed.

After buying their groceries, they exited the store and ran into Cortes.

"Oh, hey there. I remember you," Maxine said. "Cortes, right?"

"Yeah," Cortes said. "What's up? It's been awhile."

"Yeah, I haven't seen you since summer," Maxine said. "How's Rodney?"

Cortes smiled at Alicia, "Well, Alicia should know better than—"

"What are you talking about?" Alicia said, grabbing his arm. "Come over here."

She pulled him away from Maxine quickly. She could feel her heart racing in her chest.

"What? What did I say?" Cortes asked.

"Maxine doesn't know," Alicia admitted.

"Ha! You're bullshitting, right?" Cortes grinned.

"This isn't funny," she frowned. "I'm gonna tell her soon. I just—I know it's kinda weird that I'm seeing him and—"

"Hey, hey, you don't have to explain yourself to me. Life happens sometimes. You can't help who you end up liking," Cortes said.

"Thanks Cortes. I owe you one," Alicia said.

"Well, I know you're like a writer. Do you think you can tutor my little sister on the reading and writing sections for the SATs? She's about to take it. I'll pay you," Cortes said.

"Sure! And you don't have to pay me. Your Rodney's friend," Alicia said.

"I'm still gonna. You can't make that much as an intern, I mean, c'mon," he said and she narrowed her eyes. "Anyway, her name's Ramona. Here's her number. Can you please give her a call?"

Alicia agreed and Cortes bid her goodbye as Maxine joined her again with raised eyebrows.

"What was that all about?" she asked.

"Oh, I'm just tutoring his baby sister and I wanted to ask him something," Alicia lied, which wasn't really a lie.

"Ah, I see. You should've waited. I wanted to see what was going on with Rodney," Maxine nudged her.

Alicia sighed and walked on; Maxine rushed after her.

***

A few weeks passed and then it was the night of the holiday party. Alicia sat in an uber with Maxine, headed for Lotus. She was wearing a red, dinner dress; Maxine wore a black one. As Maxine kept dancing in her seat to the music the driver played, Alicia sat silently beside her, staring out the window.

"Why are you so quiet this evening? Aren't you excited? Maxine asked. "You finally get some time off from that internship after tonight."

"Yeah, I'm just thinking..." Alicia said.

"What's got you so anxious?" Maxine asked, but Alicia said nothing. "You know what, I know how to lift your spirits. A huge, whole fried turkey! Christmas is coming up and I'm going to make you the best Christmas dinner ever."