Rodney

After new year's ended, they spent some of their remaining free days around his apartment in each other's company. During the day, Alicia spent her time tutoring Cortes' sister, Ramona. He remembered the first day they interacted. They stuck strictly to the lesson. By day two, Ramona was warming up to Alicia.

Secretly,  Rodney knew Alicia was pleased with this. She valued women companionship and with Maxine temporarily out of the picture, although Ramona was just 17, Rodney knew Alicia appreciated having a girl to talk to because he was a man.

On day three, he sat around the living room eating a bowl of fruit loops and listened to them chat on zoom.

"Alicia..." Ramona started. "How do...how do you tell the boy that you like how you feel?"

"You like someone?" Alicia asked.

"Yes, but I'm not sure if he likes me back cause of my glasses and braces, but he doesn't tease me like other kids. He's pretty popular. He's in my AP history class and he talks a lot, our teacher hates it. But he's still really smart. And well he's a little shorter than me, but I don't care. He's really funny. His name is Josiah," Ramona said.

"Aw, that's so sweet," Alicia replied.

Rodney set his bowl down and smirked.

"Just be honest and be yourself, okay? I'm sure everything will work out for you," Alicia said.

"But also double check if he likes you back. The last thing anyone wants to go through is rejection," Rodney said.

Ramona laughed, "Yeah, I feel you. But honestly, I'm tired of hiding my feelings for him. I want to confess, but I'm too afraid to."

"So, leave him a love note," Alicia said.

"A love note?" Ramona asked.

"Yeah, and leave it in his desk," Alicia suggested.

"I love that idea! Thank you, Alicia. Now that's January's here, I want to try and be with him by Valentine's day," Ramona chatted and Alicia laughed.

"You know," Ramona continued, "I know this is just tutoring, but I'm really happy my brother introduced us. I can't talk to him about stuff like this cause he's a guy, but now I have you. You're like a big sister to me."

Rodney smiled, rose and left the room, wanting to give them their privacy.

***

On Sunday, right before they both had to return to work the next day, they decided to go to brunch with Cortes and Michael. It was Rodney's idea and he hoped that by hanging out with more people, it would get rid of the absence Alicia felt without Maxine. The weather was in the thirties, but Alicia didn't mind. She decided she was going to wear a dress. As she got ready, Rodney helped her zip up the back. When he was putting on his shirt, she helped him with his cufflinks. After, he kissed her forehead.

When they were done getting ready, they stood in front of his mirror.

"You sure look pretty," he said.

"Thank you. I like that shirt your wearing," she said.

He smiled, watching her. He liked that she was staying over at his place. He liked that they helped each other get dressed, that they were going out to eat with friends, he liked that things felt real between them. Someday, he wished they could get their own apartment and do more of this.

The brunch spot was in Harlem, not too far away from them, so they walked. As they strolled down the street, they held hands, swinging their arms back and forth playfully. Alicia was wearing the necklace he had gifted her. Since that Christmas night, she never took it off.