Chapter 5

Viera's POV

Catlynn and Red told me they were going to adopt me. I didn't know what that meant, but I'm happy! They took me to the store the other day and I got a bedroom that's all my own. Red told me that since I'm here, the guests have to sleep on the floor now! So yeah, I felt so special. And I'm with people that love me! That's a first.

"Good morning, Ollie!" Red said, poking her head in the door. "How are you, sweetie? How was your night?"

"Good!" I said cheerfully. I hugged Red's legs and said, "I'm hungry."

"Well, Catlynn's downstairs making you some food, okay?" I giggled and ran to the kitchen. "Catlynn!" I cheered.

"Hey, Veira!" Catlynn said. "I hope you like scrambled eggs!" I cheered and sat at the counter. "What are we doing today?" I asked.

"Well, I'm enrolling you in kindergarten and I'm enrolling your sister into preschool!" Catlynn said. "Are you excited?"

"Yeah!" I said. "I've never been to school!"

"Awwww! Red used to be a teacher, so you can ask her all about it!" Catlynn said. "Well, come on, let's go!"

________

The man that was my teacher looked a little familiar to me. He almost looked like Daddy in a way.

But my classmates were nice! I made six new friends in an hour and the other teacher in the room gave me candy today for answering a question!

I was happily eating the sandwich Catlynn and Red made for me, and then my class went out to the playground for recess! I could go on the slides and swings and the monkey bars!

I was so happy as I skipped out to the playground with this girl in blonde pigtails. I was sitting on the slide when I felt someone pull my hair.

It was my teacher.

"Hi!" I said cheerfully.

"You naughty, naughty little girl." he said.

It was Daddy.

"Daddy!" I said. I tried to give him a hug but he slapped me. "You know what you did, Oliveira. You left me. You left me alone. Mommy and I want you back, come on. That crybaby Catherine can't give you the love and parenting that Mommy and I can." 

"No!" I said, trying to run off.

"No?" Daddy laughed a little. "How dare you say no to me, Oliveira Raegan Patton-Jones. How dare you disobey your father, missy. HOW DARE YOU?" 

He pulled my hair and slapped me once, twice, three times over. 

"Daddy, stop!"

"YOU STOP!" he yelled, slapping me again.

Then everything went black.