Chapter 10

Catlynn's POV

"You okay?" I said to Red as I walked into our bedroom. Red was sitting on the bed on her computer, not saying a word.

"Huh?" Red said, looking up. "Oh yeah, it's um- it's nothing. What's up, Kit?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to go out tonight. Leave the kids with my mom. I think we both deserve a break." I said. 

"We all deserve a break. Our kids included. Hell, I don't think Veira has even met Elle in person." Red said. "Just- just let me finish this up and I'll be right there."

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine, Kit, I promise. You don't have to worry about me, okay honey?" Red said.

I nodded slowly and then headed into my closet to pick out some clothes for tonight. "I'll call my mom and see if she can take the kids for the night." 

"Alright. I'll be down in five." Red said.

I looked worriedly at Red, quickly grabbed my phone, and ran into the bathroom to call my mom. Did Elle really talk to Red one-on-one? No, not that I know of. But maybe she'd have some idea about how to handle this.  

"Mom?"

"Oh, hello Sunshine, how are you? How are the kids?" Elle said on the other line. 

"Good. I called because I have two questions. First of all, can you take the kids tonight so Red and I can go out? Ever since what happened with Veira, we all need a break."

"Oh, Sunshine, of course I can! What time are you thinking?" Elle asked.

"Probably in about an hour, we both still need to get dressed and stuff and the kids don't even know that we're going out. And also...speaking of Red, have you talked to her at all lately? Like one-on-one?"

"No, not recently. The only times I've talked to her is when you were around. Why do you ask? Is something up? Do you think she's cheating on you, because I can call Evan-"

"NO! Mom, she's not cheating on me! Or I hope she isn't. She's just um...acting really weird. Like today, she was sitting on the bed on her computer and she wasn't talking to me much, at all. And when I tried to ask her, she kind of snapped at me?" I said.

"Oh. Oh, Sunshine, I'm sure she's fine, she's probably just processing what happened with Veira and stuff." Elle said. "Don't worry, baby."

"Yeah. I hope you're right."

"Well, do you want me to talk to her?" Elle asked. "I could try to call her and stuff?"

"I mean, if she won't talk to her own wife about what's going on she sure as hell won't talk to her mother in law!" I said.

"It's worth a shot though."

"Fair."

"Hey, I'll see you in an hour. I love you."

"Love you too, Mom." I said, hanging up the phone and sighing. 

"Kit?" Red said from the bedroom. "Kit, I'm ready."