Chapter 8

Oliveira's POV

I woke up in a strange room with a lot of funny sounds. There's lots of people in here too, people who I don't know. I wondered where Catlynn and Red were. They had to be around here somewhere, right? They didn't leave me...I hope.

"Oh, sweetie, you're awake!" one of the strange ladies said. I didn't know her- who was this lady talking to me? I looked around the room, it didn't look like home. I wasn't home. 

"Let me go get your mom, okay?" the strange lady said.

Mommy? Mommy came back? I didn't want Mommy to come back, Mommy was mean to me. Cat and Red taught me that not all adults are mean like Mommy and Daddy were and that most adults were nice. 

"Oh, Veira, you're awake!" someone said, running in the room. I was a little scared for a minute before I realized it was Catlynn. Red ran in right behind her, and the two stared at each other for a minute before looking at me.

I wonder what the stare was all about...

_________

Catlynn's POV

Twenty Minutes Earlier

I wasn't just excited to go to the hospital because Oliveira was awake. I was excited to go because it meant I got to see my wife again. 

I've been staying at Elle's apartment for about two weeks, the same two weeks Oliveira was in a coma. Slowly, but surely, I've felt a little better. At least, I've felt well enough to call Red and have a long conversation with her about what was going on with me mentally. 

This was going to be the first time I saw Red in person since I ran away. And I don't know how that's going to feel. Is it going to be heartfelt? Awkward? A little bit of both. No one really knows, and truth be told, I'm scared to find out. 

I sighed, pulling out of Elle's driveway and making my way to the children's hospital. And then that's when it hit me- I was going to my workplace for the first time since I ran away. I called my boss and took the day off for mental health reasons, but didn't specify anything. I wonder if anyone found out what happened...I wonder if it clicked. 

I drifted off into my own world, thinking about all the "what ifs" for a solid five minutes...and that's when my phone buzzed.

Josie: Hey Cat, good news! My home study got approved, I'm going to be a mother!

I smiled a little, pulling over and responding to Josie's text with "So proud of you, love and miss you!" and then getting back on my way. 

Soon enough, I reached the children's hospital parking lot. I pulled into a spot and got out of the car, and then I saw Red's car parked two spots away from mine.

Red.

Red was all the motivation I needed. I sprinted across the parking lot and into the doors of the hospital, running past concerned parents and children, some of my coworkers who realized I came back, and finally...running right past my wife.

"Kit!" Red said, engulfing me in a hug. "Kit, baby, I missed you so much!"

I smiled sweetly, realizing I was holding on to the love of my life, my rock, my beautiful Red. 

"I missed you too, honey, but I missed our daughter even more. Come on."

_______

Veira's POV

"Well, your Mama and I were staring at each other because we love each other...and you." Red said.

"We're so happy you're awake, sweetie, and guess what? The doctors said you can come home soon! Your siblings really miss you, Ollie." Catlynn said.

Home?

Home.

Catlynn and Red were my home.