Chapter 11

Viera's POV

Dear Kit, 
This is probably the last thing you ever wanted to receive from me. But it is the last thing you ever will receive from me. If things pan out correctly, by the time you receive this, I'll be dead.
I've been sick for a while now. I don't know how long it'll be by the time this letter makes its way to you, but just know that I never wanted to go out this way. I never wanted to hide this from you for so long. But I was too scared to say anything. So I wrote a letter- it was my twisted way of coping with the whole situation. I sat in the waiting room of the hospital after a doctor's appointment writing this thing. I wrote one to your mom, to Shirley and Cesca, to my parents, and even wrote one to Violet. It's always been easier for me to get my feelings out in writing rather than with spoken word- you know this better than anyone. 
And when I'm gone, Kit, can you promise me one thing? Promise me you'll take care of yourself? I know you'll be responsible for the kids and our friends- but you need to put yourself first. Please. For me. You've been through too much, and I never wanted to add salt to the wound, but...life took its course and here I stand. 
You were, and are, the best thing to ever happen to me. I mean it, middle school was hell for me. And you know the story of how I fell in love with you, I fell in love with you from the moment I first laid my eyes on you in band class on the first day of eighth grade. You're so sweet, so strong, so funny, and I don't think I tell you how much I love you as often as I should. So I'll say it here, just in case you don't hear it from me the day you receive this. 
I love you. I love you so so much, more than anything in the world. I love your pretty face, the sprinkle of freckles across your nose, your gorgeous brown eyes, your soft auburn hair, those silver stud earrings you always wear, your sense of style, your gracefulness and poise, your laugh, your smile, anything and everything. 
I'm so sorry, Kit. I love you forever.
All my love,
Red Marie Ashley

What did that mean? Is Mommy okay? And who's Violet? I had so many questions, I was so confused. 

Maybe Mama would know what this letter was all about? It was supposed to be for her, after all.

"Mama?" I asked, seeing her sit at the counter.

"Oh, Veira! What's up, do you need anything?" Mama said, turning towards me. 

I handed her the piece of paper and said "Mama, what's this?"

Mama opened the paper and looked confused as she read it. Then she started crying. Why was she crying? I didn't mean to make Mama sad. 

"I- I gotta go talk to your Mommy and Nana, okay?" Mama said, giving me a hug. "I'll be right back." 

What was going on?