Chapter 7

Red's POV

It seemed like everyone in my life has gotten good news but me. Josie's planning her wedding and preparing for a child, Shirley and Cesca are engaged now, Levi took his first steps the other day...but Veira's still in a coma. And that's been the only thing on my mind for weeks.

I woke up in the middle of the night, letting my thoughts consume me. I didn't even move or roll over to see if Catlynn was awake, I just lied there in silence.

On a normal night, it would've taken me forever to fall asleep. With 3 kids, one of which is a newborn, and Catlynn's late hours at work, I don't fall asleep until around midnight. But lately...with Catlynn taking more and more days off of work to visit Veira and Eleanor becoming more independent as she got older.

I took a long, deep breath and decided to roll over to give Catlynn a hug, but as soon as I reached my arms out, I realized there was nothing there.

Catlynn was gone.

Panicked, I scrambled out of bed and checked every single room in the house. Eleanor's room, Levi's room, even Oliveira's now empty room. The bathrooms, everywhere I could.

Giving up and getting ready to call my wife and figure out where the hell she was, I decided to go to the kitchen and get a snack. I grabbed some apple slices from the fridge, which were supposed to go in Eleanor's lunch, and then I noticed a note on the counter.

Dear Red:
I'm sorry. I couldn't handle this anymore. I was getting flashback after flashback and I just need a break for now. I'm so, so sorry. I'll be back soon.
~Kit

I couldn't move, I couldn't think. I just stood in the kitchen, numb and in shock. My wife just ran away from home because her PTSD was getting so bad. I didn't know where she was or if she was okay...

And with Catlynn gone for God knows how long...that meant I was a single mother. I was fending for Eleanor and Levi all on my own, and I would have to be the one visiting Veira in the hospital. 

I didn't know how I would manage all on my own...

_________

Catlynn's POV

I was pounding on the door of my mom's house, hoping she'd answer. It was pretty late at night so I wouldn't be surprised if she was asleep, but I desperately needed her. 

"Sunshine?" Elle said once she opened the door. She shot me a confused look and then let me in the apartment. "Sunshine, what are you doing here this late at night?"

"I can't...I can't handle this anymore...I'm sorry. I got flashback after flashback after flashback with Veira in a coma and I really needed a break...I hope it's okay if I stay with you for a little bit...at least until everything dies down..." I said.

Elle smiled and gave me a big hug. "Your childhood bedroom's still all set up and ready, do you want to stay in there or do you want me to get the couch all set up?" 

"My bedroom's fine, thanks." I said. "I feel terrible, though. I just left a note for Red and didn't give her any heads-up about where I was. She thinks I'm just wandering the streets for all I know." 

"Why don't you tell her, then?" Elle asked.

"I'm scared she'll get mad at me if I tell her! I left her home alone with our two kids, all alone and afraid, and she's probably missing me like crazy!" I said.

"Why don't you go home then?" Elle asked.

"I can't, Mommy...my mental health is too screwed up for that. I'm just gonna go to bed, I'll call Red tomorrow if I feel a little bit better..." I said. I gave Elle a big hug and she kissed my head.

"Good night, Sunshine. I'll see you in the morning. I missed you."

"Good night, Mommy. I missed you too.