Chapter 12

Catlynn's POV

As soon as Oliveira handed me that piece of paper, the world stopped. How was I supposed to answer her when she asked me what it was? How was I supposed to answer when I asked myself what it was?

Because my best friend, the love of my life, my rock, my cheerleader, my biggest supporter, my Red is dying, and I don't know what to do. And from the looks of things, she doesn't know that I know.

From the looks of things, I was never supposed to know.

I lied to Veira. I wasn't talking to Red, I wasn't calling Elle. I was sitting in the bathroom, hiding in the corner with the door locked and shut tight. I was crying and hyperventilating, I didn't know what to do with myself. I had almost lost Red once, hell, I was fully convinced she died. But now that I had to prepare for the real thing...

After a good ten minutes of crying, I decided to draw myself a warm bath, hoping that it would relax me enough to get out of this frantic headspace I was in. I sighed and turned on the water in the tub, waiting for it to warm up as I sat on the toilet. 

But as soon as I turned the water on, I heard a knock on the door.

"Kit? Kit, honey, are you in there?" 

Red.

"Yeah, just using the bathroom." I said, not knowing what to say.

"Then how come the tub just turned on?" Red asked from outside the door. "Kit, baby, I know you like the back of my hand, I know you take baths sometimes to relieve stress and clear your head after a rough day. I'm not forcing you, but if something's up, you can talk to me, okay?"

I sighed, wiping the last of the tears from my face and racking my brain for something to say to Red. But as soon as I tried to get words out- nothing came. I didn't know how to say it, I didn't know how to explain? 

"Can we talk? Like- in a bit? I just need some time to clear my head." I said.

"Oh, of course, honey. Take all the time you need, I'll be in our room watching TV." Red said, then I heard her quietly walk away.

I sighed, getting into the tub and trying to make myself relaxed, but oddly, it wasn't working. My mind was just all over the place; with Veira and daily work things and life...but everything always came back to Red.

Red. Red, Red, Red. 

I couldn't do this. Crying, I forcefully drained the tub and shut off the water, drying myself off and throwing on an old pair of sweatpants and a T-shirt from the laundry. I didn't even care to check if the clothes belonged to Red or myself, I just needed to get out of here.

I ran out of the bathroom, slamming the door behind me and running into our bedroom. Through my tears and my panic; I ran to Red and I's bed, my adrenaline taking over as I launched myself on the bed, curling myself up into a tiny ball and sobbing. 

"Oh Kit, baby..." Red said softly, taking me into her arms and rubbing my back in slow circles, kissing the back of my neck every so often. "Are you okay? What's going on?"

"I-" I started to say, but broke down into heavy sobs.

"Take your time, sweetheart, I'm here. You're okay." Red said, lightly scratching my back. 

"I- I saw your letter." I exploded. "I guess Veira found it somewhere and asked me about it and I didn't know what to tell her or how to tell you about it or ask you what was going on...I know you wanted to save it until...I don't even want to bring it up. I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry I just-"

I was cut off by Red cupping my face and kissing me softly.

"Kit. Look at me, okay sweetheart? That's it, you're okay. I know what's going on right now is confusing, not to mention...terrifying, it's terrifying for me too. But I promise that for now on, I'm going to be as open and honest with you as I can about what's going on with me. And I'm sorry for hiding this from you for so long, I know it's no excuse but I only hid it because I was scared. I knew that once I told you...told your mom, told our kids, told my parents and sister...it would be real. Once I said something, there was no going back."

I sighed, burying myself deeper into Red's embrace. "We're going to get through this, baby." I said, in a terrible effort to reassure myself. It didn't work, because as soon as I put my hand to my face, I realized I was still crying. Hell, there were so many tears that it looked like I had never gotten out of that bathtub. 

Red sighed and rubbed my back, kissing my tears away. 

"It'll be okay, Kit. I promise you."