Chapter 30

Eleanor's heart stopped as she heard Sebastian say relationship. What was their relationship? They weren't friends. And yet they far from being just acquaintances. They definitely weren't just CEO and employee; of that, she was certain.

'Would you use our relationship as leverage?'

'No. Of course not, Eleanor. I meant it as a joke. Besides, I've tried so many things and nothing has worked so far. I think that wouldn't work either. If anything, it would probably make it worse. I doubt Richard would trust me enough to be with you.'

'Why are you so interested in his company, anyway? It's such a minuscule company compared to Crain. Just a drop of water in the ocean.'

'It might be a small company, but it is an amazing business with a lot of growth potential. And although I've been rejected so many times by your father, I do admire him and what he has built, what he and his company stand for. He built his company from the ground up, without family money, and without help. He is quite an impressive entrepreneur.'

Eleanor smiled; her parents were indeed impressive people.

'Yeah, he is,' she said with tenderness.

'But why didn't you tell me earlier that he was your father?'

She shrugged.

'You already know. I want to do thigs on my own. I don't want my name on the way. I don't want people to see me just as Richard Montgomery's daughter.'

He simply nodded as he realized she wasn't going to say anything else about that matter.

'But I talked to my dad about you.'

'What?' Sebastian almost spat out his drink. 'What did you two talked about?'

'I told him you were late because we bumped into each other and that you helped me.'

'Well, thank you for that, but I'm pretty sure that it did not make any difference at all. He keeps rejecting every single time. Kind of like his daughter.'

Eleanor's face turned red immediately, and Sebastian laughed at her reaction.

'He can be tough,' she said. But she could not hide her embarrassment, which amused Sebastian even more.

Her brain looked for an escape and tried to change the subject, but she couldn't so. Instead, she just stuffed her mouth with another slice of pizza.

'Desert,' she said as she finished her last slice.

'What do you want?'

'Do you have ice cream?' she asked with a mischievous smile.

'Yeah. I think I might have some. What's your thing with ice cream?'

'It's my favorite food.'

'Ice cream is not food.'

'Yes, it is, don't you dare fight me on that.'

He laughed.

'I won't. Something tells me I would not be able to win that.'

Sebastian went to the fridge and came back with a box of ice cream and two spoons.

'Don't tell me you bought that for me?' she asked as she realized that the ice cream was from the same brand and had the same flavor as the one that he saw at her house.

'No, I did not,' he lied.

'If you say so,' she said with a smirk.

'I like Ice cream too, it's just not my favorite food, unlike a certain someone.'

They sat side by side against the couch and they ate as they watched some old movie that was playing on the TV. Eleanor fell fast asleep, leaned against Sebastian with her head on his arm. She was so much shorter than him that her head didn't even reach his shoulder.

He sighed. He felt that his heart and his head were a mess and arguing with each other. Sebastian didn't want a relationship. His life at Crain was already too complicated. He was still getting adjusted to his new position, but every time he saw Eleanor, his worries went away.

Sebastian looked at Eleanor's parted lips and couldn't resist. He kissed her softly. She stayed asleep, and he sighed again and leaned his head back. What am I doing? He asked himself.

Eleanor napped for a while before Sebastian woke her up by softly touching her face.

She yawned as she opened her eyes.

'Sorry,' she apologized, moving away from his arm with a flustered face.

'It's fine' — he smiled as he got up and reached out his hand to help her get up — 'it's getting pretty late. I should take you home.'

'I can take a cab. I don't what to bother you this late.'

'Eleanor' — he smiled — 'let's go. Unless you want to stay,' he said with his typical dangerous smile.

'Stop it, Sebastian,' she grumbled, blushing and avoiding his gaze.

'At least I tried.' He sighed with a smile.

Sebastian stopped the car right in front of Eleanor's building.

'I don't need you to escort me to the door.'

'Fine,' he grumbled.

'Good night Sebastian.'

'Good night Eleanor.'

But before Eleanor opened the door, he pulled her closer and placed a tender kiss on her face, on the corner of her mouth.

'See you tomorrow.' He smiled.

Eleanor nodded and prayed that it was dark enough to hide her embarrassed face. She felt so silly for being in such a state just because of a simple goodbye kiss on the cheek.