Chapter 53

A new work week arrived, and Eleanor felt like she had just woken up from a long nap filled with weird dreams. She felt drowsy and lost. The last two months had been exhausting and filled with trials and tribulations.

Even though these couple of months ended up leading to something great, they were also extremely eventful. So much had happened that they felt as long as an entire year. She could not even believe that everything was real, that everything had actually happened.

She took a deep breath as she arrived exactly on time at Crain Enterprises and requested to speak to Larissa.

In the last couple of days, after resting and taking sometime off for herself, Eleanor made some decisions that were about to change her life even more. She finally trusted herself enough to pursue a different path, a better path for herself. Her own. She trusted herself enough to let life runs its course and to be opened to the uncertainty that comes with it.

Now, Eleanor knew she did not want a life solely focused on her career, and that relationships and friends were not a hindrance. Love found her when she wasn't looking and when and where she least expected, but she was not mad at all about it. Thanks to that, she was now ready to handle the vicissitudes of life, whatever they were, and whenever they arrived. And best of all, she wasn't going to have to deal with them alone. Sebastian could not be more supportive of her and respectful of her decisions.

Larissa received her with a sad frown and a motherly smile.

'Sit,' she said, pointing to the chair in front of her desk.

The chair where Eleanor had sat some many other times, but for a very different reason.

'There's no need. This is going to be quick.'

'Don't you want to talk to me about a little more? Before you make any decision?'

Eleanor shook her head and bit her lower lip to help her retain the tears. At one point in her life, she thought that this company was going to be her future, but now she was saying goodbye, she had made up her mind. She was ready to leave. She now knew where she wanted to be, where she belonged, what type of person she wanted to become. But goodbyes and new begins were always hard.

Eleanor handed to Larissa a white envelope with her resignation letter. Her boss received it with a sad look, knowing that there was nothing she could do to change the Eleanor's mind.

'Is this what you really want?' Larissa asked, even though she knew what the answer was going to be.

'Yes,' she said firmly, as she walked towards the door.

'There's nothing I can do to change your mind?'

'No.'

Larissa got up and hugged the young woman before she could leave her office.

'Thank you for everything.'

'I should be the one thanking you for all your hard work. You will be missed. A lot. I was going to say that you should come by anytime, but I'm afraid that someone would keep you from leaving and would slack off from his work.'

Both women cried as they hugged each other tightly.

'God,' — Larissa laughed as she wiped her tears — 'we are being so dramatic. It's not like I'm never going to see you again. We'll be having dinner on Saturday.'

'I know,' — Eleanor smiled as she cleaned her face — 'but this the end of a chapter—'

'And the start of a new one. Montgomery will be lucky to have you.'

'Don't I know that. My dad is over the moon right now.'

Sebastian was late, as always. He rushed through the reception area towards the elevators, but something stopped him. Through the corner of his eye, he saw strawberry blonde hair, and he immediately turned around, but he had already lost her in the crowd. Why is she leaving? He wondered, looking at the time on his watch.

The elevator had never taken so long. Sebastian was losing his patience and was about to yell when the door finally opened. He ran down the corridor as he was trying to get as fast as he could to Larissa's office.

'Was Eleanor just here?' he asked, gasping as soon as he opened the door.