TWELVE

When it comes to the supernatural, when it comes to towns like Beacon Hills or Mystic Falls, no one ever really stays dead. Usually, when the lifeless bodies of normal people are held in somebody's arms, it's not the end. Memories keep people alive. But for Eira Salvatore, being far from normal, it was something a bit stronger than memories.

When someone dies, their life is gone, taken. But for Eira, her life could not be taken being what she was, the keeper of Life yet holding the possibility of Death within her. She had come face to face with Death when Gerard killed her which opened up a darkness inside her. She became the keeper of Life and Death as they were but two sides of the same coin; being what she was, she was no longer beholden to the hourglass of time everyone was assigned.

Life and Death were infinite and two things that could never end until all the galaxies in space failed. The spell that had tethered her to these things for years as she was frozen in sleep now made her infinite as well.

______

      Her eyes opened.

She breathed deeply as she looked around her bedroom. She was laying on her bed except it was eerily quiet and she could see the fog from her breath as she rubbed her arms to keep warm. Lightning flashed outside many times but there was never any thunder.

She got up from her bed and went to the door only to realize the walls were moving. Not moving, but rather black shadows covered the walls. They morphed into the shapes of people and then they started gliding their way towards her with their arms of black smoke outstretched and their hands reaching out for her. She ran towards the door but as she grabbed the handle her hands delved into shadow, into darkness.

She pulled her hands away but the black evil only crawled up her arms and gave her a horrible, sickly feeling as it latched onto her. The rest of the shadows suddenly flew at her, surrounding her. She felt an influx of pain, wrath, and fear but, mostly, pain of which was too much for her making her feel numb as she screamed into the void. She was completely consumed by the darkness.

She gasped awake and her eyes opened. But her eyes were completely black before she blinked and that sick, numb feeling still existed telling her dream was not just a dream.

________

The foggy mirror image of herself stared back at her as she looked in the mirror. Her eyes, a bright green that once contained happiness, now were filled with pain. That was really all she felt once she awoke. She called them the invisible hands as she felt like someone grabbed her but no one was ever there; and the hands brought pain like they were invisible spirits sharing the pain of their death or even their life.

That pain filled her heart up like a balloon with its darkness. It wasn't that she feared the pain but she feared the ferocity of it. The sheer amount of pain and anger surrounding her felt like it could break her and one day she knew she wouldn't be able to take it anymore, letting it consume her; that was the day she was afraid of.

Stefan was worried for her; he had been ever since that night where she was brought home, lying dead in the arms of Derek Hale. He said she wasn't herself and she agreed but there wasn't anything she could do. Darkness had taken root and it wasn't leaving anytime soon.

__________

Since she died, Gerard had disappeared and she was glad because for the first time, she hated someone. She was afraid of her own thoughts when she thought of what she would do to him if she saw him again.