SEVEN

It was the next day and Eira went back to school. The moment she showed up on campus, she was ambushed by Scott and pulled into a hug.

"You're okay," Eira was smothered as Scott hugged her tightly.

"I was so worried about you," Scott continued once he let her go.

"It took her all day to recover," Stefan stated which made Scott frown.

Eira slightly glared at Stefan before smiling at Scott, "But I'm fine now."

"Good," Scott smiled slightly.

"So what happened after? Did Derek go after Lydia?" Eira asked.

"Yeah. We were able to hold him off. But we found out that Lydia isn't the Kanima, it's Jackson," Scott answered. "We caught him. Stiles is currently watching him."

"Watching him where?" Eira asked.

"In a..." Scott scratched the back of his neck nervously. "...prison transport van."

"You're holding him hostage. Will that even work?" Stefan questioned. "Won't he just break out?"

"I don't know. It's working for right now," Scott answered, shrugging.

"I'm not sure I like this. Holding someone against their will, it seems...wrong," Eira frowned. "But I understand it needs to be done."

"I know. I don't like it either," Scott agreed.

_________

Eira was in one of her classes, writing notes down in detail, wanting to study and remember every little thing. But the intercom system came on and her name was called, requesting she go to the office. She, sadly, had to put her pencil down and stop writing notes.

She walked to the office nervously, wondering what she could possibly be requested for. She was worried that this had to do with Gerard so she sent a text to Stefan, letting him know what was happening.

Once she reached the office, she was directed to sit and wait in the chairs lining the walls. She was told that Gerard did, in fact, want to see her and she thought her heart would pound right out of her chest because of how fast it was beating. She was waiting for a few minutes which only increased her anxiety.

"Ahh, the new student," Gerard appeared from out of his office, smiling politely. "Eira, is it?"

"Y-Yes," she stuttered.

"There's no need to be so frightened," Gerard stated, seeing the fear written all over her face. She was an easy person to read. "You're not in any trouble."

"Oh," she said as she walked into his office where he was holding the door open. She slowly walked to the seat in front of the table and sat down just as he shut the door.

"I hear you had an incident in one of your classes yesterday," Gerard commented as he walked around his desk and sat down in the chair behind it. "You were carried out of class by one, Isaac Lahey."

She saw his eyes narrow suspiciously and she swallowed, "I had an allergic reaction to the one of the substances in chemistry."

"Let's not tell lies, Ms. Salvatore," Gerard stated, all politeness wiped from his face. "From the moment you've arrived here you've been hanging around Scott McCall. My son has suspicions that you're a werewolf."

"But we know that's not true," Gerard smirked. "No, you're a Salvatore. Your family name is as known as mine. Your brother is a vampire."

"Is that what you think I am?" Eira asked.

"Oh, no," Gerard answered. "Anyone could see from that wide-eyed stare of yours that you're innocent; not a monster like the others. Not like your brother."

"What do you plan to do?" Eira questioned.

"I plan to give you a warning, Ms. Salvatore," Gerard responded. "Get out of town while you still can; a gift from my merciful nature. I couldn't have an innocent human be killed in the defense of a monster, could I?"

She could tell by his tone that he didn't care for her life. He'd just as easily kill her as he would her brother.

"You can leave now," Gerard said.

She didn't waste a moment and she practically sprinted from the office. Tears were in her eyes and she tried hard to keep them from falling but as soon she saw Stefan waiting for her outside in the hall, she knew he heard everything. She let her tears fall as she ran into his arms.

"They're all going to come after you," Eira sobbed, not being to handle the image of Stefan getting hurt, especially, after she already lost one brother.

"Hey, hey, nothing's going to happen to me," Stefan assured.

"You don't know that," Eira cried.

"You're right, I don't," Stefan sighed.

"I refuse to lose you, Stefan," Eira admitted. "We should leave town."

"Let's not make hasty decisions, okay?" Stefan stated. "Why don't we think about this at home?"

She nodded, sniffling, and Stefan took her home, leaving school in the middle of the day once again. The drama of the supernatural kept interrupting their lives even though all Eira wanted to do was learn and all Stefan wanted to do was make sure Eira never got hurt.

_________

Eira stayed in her bed for the rest of the day, thinking about leaving town. She considered all the threats here, all the people she cared about in so little time here. But then she also thought about all the threats elsewhere.

She finally trudged downstairs to where Stefan was in the living room standing in front of the fire that was crackling in the fireplace. She stood next to him and looked up at him.

"What do you think we should do?" Eira asked.

"Eira, I've been alive for so long and have lived so many lives. It doesn't matter if I die; it matters that you live," Stefan answered. "So I go where you go, to make sure that you're safe."

"I think you forget that I can't live without family," Eira said as tears once again to form in her eyes. "I don't know how Derek does it, but I can't."

"You could," Stefan smiled sadly. "I'd come back to haunt you if you didn't."

She couldn't help but chuckle and smile slightly, "You'd be the best ghost I could wish for."

Silence erupted between the two of them for a moment before Stefan asked the inevitable, "So where do you want to go?"

"I think that no matter where we go this will always be our life," Eira admitted. "And, inevitably, whether here or somewhere else, we'll both meet our deaths."

"So we stay?" Stefan questioned.

"So we stay."

AN: I thought Eira and Stefan could use some sibling bonding. And I wanted Eira to meet Gerard....