Chapter Nine

#HNA9

──────── ⋆ ⋅☽ ⋅ ⋆ ────────

Sometimes, I wonder why people go to lengths for the sake of love. I cannot understand their reasons or I just simply do not want to. I also cannot understand why there are people who unrighteously use their power to twist one's fate depending on how they want it to be.

It just does not make sense.

Tito Elli indeed loved Celestine's mother so much to the point that he was ready to ditch an important appointment with his doctor when he received a call from my grandfather saying that his beloved wife is at their hands. Well, any of us will surely do the same thing he did for love because love makes us do crazy things.

While my grandfather? He was the villain in their story — everyone's story.

"I still can't believe lolo did that," I sighed while playing with my fingers. "It wasn't Tita Kath's fault that papa fell in love with her real hard!"

Drake ran his hands through his hair down to his face out of frustration. "This family is fucked up," he uttered.

Celestine's father did not survive. Mama was too guilty for what had happened that she never left her room after the incident. She would answer calls from time to time if it is related to her children and Celestine's family. She refused to talk to her father because of what the Javiers did to the Lims. Mama was too stressed out and it pains Papa to see her in that state.

No one wanted this to happen — except for our grandfather who did not even feel any remorse for what he did.

"Sasama ba kayo?" Papa asked us when he saw Drake and me talking in the living room. "Celestine needs the both of you."

"I would love to but I do not want to leave mama alone po," I responded.

Papa nodded. "Uuwi na lang ako agad para bantayan ang mama niyo tapos magpasundo ka na lang sa kuya mo," he said. "Celestine needs you, too."

I smiled weakly before walking toward him for a quick hug. "Please, don't put all the burden on your shoulders, Pa," I whispered.

Papa stiffened. I bet he did not expect me to hug him all of a sudden. I, myself, was shocked too. I just felt the need to comfort him even though our relationship with each other is not that okay. At the end of the day, he is still my father and I care about him.

"Mama, it's Quinn..." I knocked on her bedroom door twice. "Can I come in?"

"Of course," she responded but the pain was evident in her voice.

I saw her watching the raindrops on the window. She was sitting on her favorite window couch where she used to read her favorite books. I sat in front of her and gave her a genuine smile. "I love you," I said.

Mama pulled me closer for a hug. "I love you and your Kuya more than anything in this world, Anak," she replied while her tears kept on flowing from her eyes. "I am sorry, Quinn..."

"It was not your fault, Mama," I assured her.

"It was, Anak." She pulled out of our hug. "Your Lolo just wanted what was best for his only daughter just like how I want the best for you and your brother. I chose to keep my mum and let him take control of me. Maling-mali iyon, Quinn," she explained.

"You did not want that accident to happen, right?" I asked.

She wiped her tears using the back of her hand. "Katherine and I are on good terms, Anak. I would never wish for someone to be kidnapped," she declared.  "I would never wish harm on someone."