5.

Draco was sitting hard faced at the Slytherin table when his letter was dropped in front of him. He really had no idea who he was going to be paired with and he was worried slightly. He felt his palms get slightly sweaty when he reached for the letter. He wanted to have a better life than he had had so far. He wanted to be happy, and he was afraid most people wouldn't want to be with him and thus he wouldn't be. 

"They have got to be barking," Blaise Zabini was staring at his letter in shock.

"Who have they put you with mate?" 

"Luna Lovegood," Blaise stared at Draco dumbfounded. 

"Well...She is quite resilient." Draco tried to find a positive. He knew that Blaise and Luna would probably never get along. He doubted they really have anything in common. 

Blaise just sighed and put his letter down and looked at Draco. They had been curious to see who the Ministry had paired him up with given everything that had happened in the past year. 

Draco opened the letter slowly, "They are barking," was all he could say. He handed Blaise the letter and put his head in his hands. He was feeling terribly guilty at the moment. How was he to make a pairing with Hermione Granger work out? She was bound to hate him and he didn't blame her. He had been horrible to her in school, and his family had done terrible things to her. Why? Why was all he kept thinking?

"Are they serious? What are they playing at putting her with you when everyone knows that she and Weasley have finally just gotten together?"

Draco didn't look up. He had no idea what the Ministry was doing, but it seemed stupid in his mind. It wasn't like he minded the law. He actually liked it. He desperately wanted to redeem himself and he had a slight suspicion that they wouldn't pair him with someone that would have come from a pureblood family. Maybe they thought it would help him learn to be a better person, but he never would have thought they would have taken it this far. 

Draco tried to find Hermione everywhere that night, he wanted to talk to her and start with an apology. Tell her to take as much time as she needed, but no matter how hard he looked he couldn't find her. It went on like this the first week after he found out he was to marry her. He was starting to think she was avoiding him. As she was good at it too. 

"I just don't know what to do Blaise,"

"Well maybe give her some time. Imagine how big of a shock it is for her," 

"I know, I am just worried she is going to be devising some plan to leave me. What if I end up alone?"

"Draco you know as well as I that the magic that you are bonded to Hermione with now is powerful, and nothing and no one is getting between that. Not even Hermione."

"She is brilliant, I am sure she can work out how to do it," 

Blaise shook his head, he really didn't believe she would do that. He figured that she wasn't ready to talk to Draco yet, and that to him seemed reasonable. He also knew that Hermione loved being a witch. He had often watched her in class and saw the joy that magic brought her. He doubted that she would risk losing that. 

It had been 2 and half weeks since Hermione had found out about Draco. Hermione had stopped crying herself to sleep about Ron, and she had started to find it easier to add to her list in the mornings about the good things about Draco. She still was not ready to talk to him just yet. She needed more time, and she was going to take it. She had gotten very good at avoiding Draco and she intended to keep on doing it.