9.

Hermione woke up the next morning after her and Draco had studied and started on her list. It was getting harder to remember everything on the list, but she tried her best every morning to add something still. It was getting easier and easier as they got to know one another and she even started to like things about him. Which she thought was a good step. 

'He has money

He is good at potions

He can do Occlumency, which is incredibly difficult and hard to master

He didn't give Harry away at the Manor

He didn't have the heart to kill Dumbledore

He loves his mother

He didn't defend his father when he was being tried

He came back to finish his schooling

He's a fair flier

He has nice hair

His eyes are a pretty shade of blue

He didn't have a choice

He stopped fighting

He didn't bother me right away when we were paired together

I like his smile

He is intelligent 

He likes that I am a good witch

He made an effort to have lunch with my friends

He respects me

His smirk is cute sometimes

I like his smile

He doesn't make me nervous

Today she was trying to come up with something that she liked about him, and she sighed to herself. 

'I like Draco Malfoy'

She was a little shocked at herself when she said it in her head, but it was the truth. Halloween was only a few days away. It had been almost two full months, and she actually thought of Malfoy as her friend. She liked spending time with him, and she was finding it easier and easier to talk to him each time. She smiled to herself. She liked Draco Malfoy. 

"What are you smiling at?" Ginny looked suspiciously at Hermione and wondered what might be making her best friend so happy this early in the morning. 

"Well," Hermione hadn't told anyone about the list and she wasn't going to. But this was Ginny, "I have been making a list."

"What kind of list?"

"Each morning I tell myself 1 good thing about Malfoy. I started the day after I found out it was him. I thought it would help me start to see past everything I knew about him. At first, it was difficult to think of things, but now. Now some mornings I actually think of things I like about him, not just good qualities, but things I actually like. And my thought this morning was that I like him. I think that is progress. I might actually end up being okay."

Ginny smiled too, "That is great Hermione. I am so glad to hear you say that. Can I hear some of them?" Ginny added as an afterthought and a giggle. 

Hermione smiled and laughed too, "Nope. I think I'll keep them to myself for a little while longer." She smirked at Ginny and Ginny laughed even harder. Hermione really was happy, and it made Ginny so happy too. 

Soon the Halloween Feast was upon them, and Hermione was starting to feel more like herself with every passing day. The nightmares were becoming fewer as the weeks went on, and she was feeling less and less nervous being alone every day. She was grateful this was happening because she didn't think she could handle being on edge all the time for the rest of her life. She understood that she went through a lot, and it might take time to heal but she had a sneaking suspicion that spending time with Draco had something to do with her beginning to heal. 

She felt better knowing that she wasn't the only one going through all of the emotions that she was feeling day to day. She knew her friends were not lying to her when they told her they understood. And she was positive they did, but it just felt different went Draco said it. He wasn't there to witness and experience every single thing she went through during the war. His experiences were completely different and yet he was feeling the same and she was. To her this was comforting, and she was sure that they were helping one another heal. Perhaps he was right after all, they were put together for a reason. 

"Hey Hermione, are you ready for tonight's feast? I really am looking forward to it." Ginny was glowing Hermione noticed. She had been since she found out that she was allowed to go dress shopping in just a few short weeks. She was beyond excited to plan her wedding with Harry and her happiness about that was seeping into her day-to-day life as well. It made Hermione smile as soon as she saw her best friend. She was incredibly for both Harry and Ginny and couldn't wait to see them be bonded together. 

"I am. I really missed it last year, and I don't think I will ever take the food her for granted again." Hermione tried not to think back to the war. She knew that it would only make her anxious and uncomfortable. Everything seemed her to remind her of the war now a days, but it was getting easier.

"So," Ginny and Hermione sat down and started talking about their days, "What were you planning on doing this weekend?"

"Draco asked if I wanted to go to Hogsmeade with him a little while ago, so I figured I would do that on Saturday. I really should catch up on some work on Sunday since there is nothing crazy going on."

"You are going just the two of you?" Ginny was trying not to smile. As much as she hated the idea of Hermione being with Draco at first. No matter how angry it made her that the Ministry was making Hermione go through with this, she was happy her friend was doing better. She knew that it was complex and there was many different obstacles that Draco and Hermione were going to have to go through. However, she really thought they were able to get through everything. Ginny could see the light at the end of the tunnel for Hermione and it made her incredibly happy. 

"Yes," Hermione wasn't sure if Ginny approved or not. She was able to make her own decisions though, and Draco no longer made her nervous. He actually made her happy.

"That is great Hermione. I am glad the two of you have started to work things out. I know it isn't easy for you. That it hasn't been easy for you. But I can tell you are feeling more like yourself, and I am so happy that you are. You know. Happy.

"I am starting to feel better Ginny. I am glad other people are noticing it."

"You will have to let me know how it goes."

"I am sure that I am going to need you to help me get ready. If Draco and I are really going on our first date, I would like to be presentable and I am going to need all the help I can get. I am so used to wearing a jumper or our robes. I completely forget how to dress myself. Hermione laughed. It was true. Not that Ginny was much better, but at least they could talk with one another and figure it out.