7.

Hermione kept what McGonagall said in the back of her head for the entire week. She knew she had to stick to the deadline that her Professor set, but she was still scared. She didn't know what to do or say. It was already Friday and she was trying to prepare herself when she walked into Potions. 

"Good afternoon," Professor Slughorn greeted the class with his usual smile and then went straight into teaching. Hermione listened intently the entire lesson and tried to keep her eyes from wandering to the blonde-haired boy sitting at the table in front of hers. She came to a silent resolve that she would speak to him after this class. That would at least be a start.

Slughorn dismissed the class an hour later and Hermione got up quickly and waited outside the classroom. Draco was the last to leave the room and was shocked when he heard a quiet voice pipe up as he entered the hallway. 

"Malfoy?" Hermione didn't know what to say next. That was as far as she had planned out in her mind. 

Draco stopped and looked at Hermione with wide eyes. They just stared at one another for a few moments before they both opened their mouths to speak. 

"I just wanted to say hello." Was what Hermione had come up with trying not to sound too awkward and like she hadn't been avoiding him for a month. 

"Are you alright?" Draco was concerned about how pale Hermione was. She looked terrified to be speaking to him alone. 

Hermione tried again, "I am sorry, I just didn't know what to say, or think, or feel." 

"I'm sorry too, Hermione. I hope you know that. I really am. For everything. And for this, what they are making you do. It's unfair."

Hermione nodded and tried to smile slightly. She was getting more nervous by the minute and she was starting to panic. 

"Hermione, are you alright?"

"I...I should go," Hermione quickly walked away. Not the best first conversation, and probably not what McGonagall had in mind, but it was all she could muster at the moment. She thought hard about how they were going to speak again. She didn't think after that she was ready to be alone with him after all. She was still having nightmares from the war and was constantly on edge. Maybe she could invite Harry, Ginny, and Ron to lunch with the two of them so they could be with her. She figured that she would certainly be more comfortable if her friends were around to make her feel safe. 

"Ginny," Hermione had sat down hard on the couch in the common room next to Ginny, "I tried to talk to Malfoy today and it went horribly,"

"Why, what happened?"

"I couldn't do it. I feel nervous around him still and I just walked away. He was being perfectly nice too, wondering if I was alright and apologizing. I just couldn't do it."

"Well, take more time then," Ginny shrugged she really didn't see the problem with taking all the time in the world. 

"Ginny it has already been a month and McGonagall is starting to notice. She told me I have to speak with him."

"Well," Ginny didn't know what to say. She really had no idea how Hermione was feeling, but she figured it was pretty terrible. 

"I was sort of wondering if you, Harry, and Ron would go to lunch with me and Draco during the Hogsmead trip so that you guys are there with me."

"Um..."

"Please Gin. It would make me feel loads better. Safe and protected."

"Alright, I will go with you."