Chapter 21: A different point of view

Paul's POV:

I took a deep breath as I entered through the front door of this huge building. In my only 28 years old I had had lots of jobs interviews but somehow this one made me the most nervous. I had my degree in musical arts but what made me proud the most was my degree in psychology. Teens psychology was the area of work I liked the most, but I figured I could give it a better use here than in a consulting room. Teaching was my life, but this school could offer me something even better. You'll see, most of the teachers don't only come to teach and that's it. They're actually assigned a student or sometimes more so they can work with their struggles after school and get a better improve in their grades. Besides all teachers that have this charge of "tutors" are supposed to be a support for the student who's struggling and work out their issues. I actually thought it was amazing. When I was teaching in some other schools I always left very clear to my students that they could come to me if they had a problem, regarding to musical arts, any other subject or just anything that was bothering them. In different institution I had several cases from just kids who needed to be heard, to actually some victims of child abuse back in their homes. School hadn't done much for them unfortunately, but I did what I could to lend a hand. Somehow I felt very protective over them. I don't know... it's in my nature to try to fix things I guess.

The interview went way better than I thought. They absolutely loved me and offered me the charge of teacher immediately. When I applied to be also a tutor, then things got a little uncomfortable. I knew they were always in need for them, given the large amount of students they had, but they said it'd be a little more complicated. I had to go through an aptitude test I took gladly and spoke with a member of their stuff that was in charge to "analyze" our personality and see if it fits. Lucky for me, it all went well and I had the charge I always dreamt of. Only one thing I didn't know completely froze me in my spot: they were allowed to use corporal punishment. I had never in my life landed a hand on any person, let alone a student, a kid. The specialist insisted it was not always necessary, that it was really up to me but that I should keep in mind I was responding for the student's behavior. I didn't know what to say. This was the job of my dreams, and maybe just maybe... it wouldn't be necessary to apply such a punishment. After all, how bad can a teenager be to deserve such a thing as a spanking?

It was my first day, and I met many different groups during that morning. But I knew I was interested in my last class of the day. I knew by fact the student I'd be tutoring would be in that class. I had chosen this student because even when it said in her record that it was a difficult one, and speaking with the other teachers none of them recommended her to me, I insisted. I had read her file:

"The student Nº 778 has an IQ= 130, and a learning ability of the 93%. Like the tests showed, this student is extremely intellectual, but the aftermath of her family and psychological issues twist these results, lowering them considerably. She resists herself to apply to her studies because she cannot see the productivity of them, and she has no one to encourage her to do so. She has a strong belief that things must go her way, and she's also really protective with what she believes belongs to her. She's not qualified as a violent person, but if she feels someone threatens her property she could have a rage attack. Level: 8. Tutor's level required: High"

School didn't want me to, saying I wasn't qualified by a so difficult student so soon. The specialist actually qualified me Middle-Low because of my struggles with corporal punishment, but that only meant I'd improve a lot. I didn't need to doze around smacks to my students to get them to behave, I was sure of it. What this girl needed wasn't a hard hand, more like she needed a shoulder to cry. I had the feeling she felt lonely, so I'd do anything in my power to help her.

I must admit I was nervous for our first meeting, but I shook it off. She arrived really late, but I let it slip, thinking maybe she needed help to adjust to the huge building. She didn't seem at all like a difficult student. I left her clear that if she cooperate with me, then everything would go just fine between us. She had nothing to fear from me and I told her she could be as open as she wanted with me. I was there for her and I meant it. She smiled sweetly to me saying she'd cooperate the best she could with me. Somehow her smile despite being sweet showed some mischievous. Her eyes were sparkling in a way a puma watches her pray. For a second I was afraid this was about to go all the way South... and hell it was about to be.