Chapter 5

As soon as Jiang Wanyin left his study, Lan Xichen let his sect heir persona fall. He was now scowling and rubbing his nose at last. What a mess really. Why had Lan Wangji done that? Why take Wei Wuxian to his personal quarters without any notice? Why had he not taken him to the infirmary? And more importantly, why had he not just let the Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple rest in his room and propose he would play for him there?

It all seemed to much like the scenario Lan Xichen feared. Had Lan Wangji really become like their father and the sect's reputation was now unsalvageable?

No, it was not that, Lan Xichen was trying to convince himself of a better possibility, surely his brother had understood why he could not do that. He needed to have faith in him, it must have been just as he had thought previously. Lan Wangji had just taken Wei Wuxian to the Jingshi for him to calm down and then he would bring him to the infirmary immediately as any other guest disciple. There was nothing more to look at, he would have done that for anyone else also.

However, deep down, Lan Xichen simply could not stop thinking about what this scandal – if it got out of course – could cause to the reputation of the Gusu Lan sect. He really did not need that. He was to become the next sect leader in the foreseeable future, he did not need a scandal to come with his succession. Just what was his brother thinking, really!

Lan Xichen sighed several times and then picked up his cup of tea and drowned it in a single go. It had long gone cold and he grimaced at the bitter taste. At least it helped him to snap out of his musing and start thinking more rationally.

No matter what was the truth, he needed to speak with Lan Wangji first and see what had actually happened. He lacked details and it was obstructing him from seeing the whole picture. He really could not tell what Lan Wangji had done, if he had listened to him or not. He was not sure what kind of brother was this making him to be.

However, before he could stand up and go see Lan Wangji, another disciple came to his door. This time, it was a Gusu Lan sect disciple who came to inform him about troubles in the Caiyi town which needed to be attended to right away. Lan Xichen only sighed and followed the disciple. He knew this was more urgent than the matter involving Wei Wuxian but he had way less patience to deal with it right now. Still, he was the sect heir, he had to appear confident and capable or the Gusu Lan sect would be the one to take the burn of it.

In the end, he only managed to free himself of the sect leader duties just before the dinner. Since his uncle, the acting sect leader was the teacher for the guest lectures, he had asked Lan Xichen to deal with as much as he was able to. And the Fist Jade did not want to disappoint him.

He went to the dining hall where he had correctly guessed everyone would be at this time of the day. And sure enough, he found Lan Qiren there. Lan Wangji was nowhere to be seen and Lan Xichen's worried only deepened. Though, he had promised to inform his uncle first so he headed towards his table immediately.

Lan Qiren was scowling into his untouched food bowl. Since he had not started to eat yet, this was the perfect opportunity to talk to him. Lan Xichen bowed politely and when his uncle gestured for him to speak, he did so: "Uncle, I had been informed by Young Master Jiang that Young Master Wei had fallen ill again and he would not be able to attend the lectures for the next few days it would take him to recover." He hesitated only a second before adding the last piece of information: "Wangji is apparently taking care of him."

This made Lan Qiren scowl even more and he started caressing his goatee in an attempt to calm himself down. Lan Xichen could tell that his uncle was not pleased at the news any more than he himself had been. However, the reason seemed to have been different; he knew his uncle did not like Wei Wuxian and that he liked seeing him anywhere close to Lan Wangji even less. He had always said that the boy was a bad influence and they should have not accepted him to study in the Cloud Recesses in the first place.

Right now, Lan Xichen could relate. Not in the aspect of not liking Wei Wuxian as a person but in the part of not wanting to have him anywhere near Lan Wangji at the moment. This could only end badly. Then again, it was not as if they could just expel him from the guest lectures and send him back to Lotus Pier without any solid reason. That would reflect badly on the Gusu Lan sect's reputation as well. They were cornered in this aspect.

"So that is why I have not seen either Wangji or Wei Wuxian in the lectures today. I would have never expected that the Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple would prove to be this sickly all the time..." Lan Qiren turned to Lan Xichen now and asked: "And what about Jiang Wanyin? I had not seen him today either. Is the perhaps also sick?"

Lan Xichen could tell that his uncle's voice was perfectly controlled but he still heard the somewhat mocking and angry undertone. He winced internally despite knowing that those emotions were not directed at him. His uncle was apparently thinking that all of this was just some elaborate prank to avoid sitting in the lectures. Both from Jiang Wanyin's and Wei Wuxian's part; as for Lan Wangji, Lan Qiren must have thought that he was caught up in the middle, under the nefarious and corrupting influence of the Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple.

If he did not know any better and had not seen how Lan Wangji was the one pursuing Wei Wuxian, he would have perhaps been susceptible to believe the same. And maybe it would be good in the long run that his uncle did not like Wei Wuxian at all. If the boy would do something mischievous again, perhaps Lan Xichen could convince Lan Qiren to send him away for too much misconduct and for disrupting the lectures.

That would be a great solution to this entire problem, he mused. And the whole blame would be on the Yunmeng Jiang sect's shoulders for not teaching their disciples proper discipline. Yes, this was very tempting, Lan Xichen would have to plan properly and nurture his uncle's hatred towards the boy but in the end, this would be for the best.

He straightened his back and replied to Lan Qiren's question: "Jiang Wanyin did not look too good either so I have suggested to him to take a day off to rest as well. I am sorry for informing you only now, Uncle."

Lan Qiren nodded his head somewhat distractedly and he seemed to let the matter go for now. He released Lan Xichen with a single gesture of his hand and started eating his food at last. The First Jade turned around and went away in search of his brother.