Chapter 2

Lan Xichen returned to the Cloud Recesses as scheduled. He had had a very productive and educative stay in the Unclean Realm and he was quite satisfied with it. And if he got to spend time with Nie Mingjue and Meng Yao, that was just a pleasant addition. For sure, that was not the true reason for his long visit, although perhaps it would not be so bad to forge an alliance with the Qinghe Nie sect.

He had just gotten back to his quarters after an exhausting journey back to the Cloud Recesses when someone was knocking at his door. He was tired and he did not want to deal with anything at the moment. However, as the future sect leader, he needed to learn how to be available and ready to solve any crisis at any moment. He only sighed internally and went to open the door to see who was disturbing him.

He was greatly surprised to find Lan Wangji standing there with what was for him a very excited and expectant expression. Lan Xichen did not know what could have gotten his younger brother to act like this, had something good happened? Or should Lan Xichen had done something he had promised? Had he forgotten it? He was quickly thinking if he had indeed promised to do something which Lan Wangji asked him to because it seemed like his brother was actually expecting him to speak first.

Lan Xichen tried to quickly remember. After a second, he still came out empty handed. He could not tell what Lan Wangji was expecting him to say. He felt embarrassed by this fact but it could not be helped, he would just have to ask: "Wangji, I am happy to see you just after my return. What can I help you with?"

The expectation morphed into something resembling betrayal and Lan Xichen shuddered internally. Now it was clear that he had forgotten something important and that Lan Wangji was sad because of it. He did not like to see such disappointment on the usually expressionless face; all the more that this time, even a stranger would be able to tell what his brother was feeling.

Lan Wangji opened his mouth as if he wanted to speak and then closed it, his frown deepening. Lan Xichen was quickly cataloguing his latest conversations with his brother and all the topics the Second Jade could be concerned about. And then it hit him, right in the face at that.

Lan Wangji had been worried about Wei Wuxian and he must have been waiting for Lan Xichen to come back to talk to him in person. It seemed like his letter had been listened to but did not help any in dissipating Lan Wangji's worries and suspicions.

He sighed internally, as if he had not had enough to deal with already. Now he would have to explain everything all over again. But perhaps it would be for the better. He needed Lan Wangji to understand that he should just let the whole matter go, the sooner the better. The relationship between Jiang Wanyin and Wei Wuxian was nothing they should be sticking their noses into; even if it was not good or normal, it was the Yunmeng Jiang sect's matter to deal with.

They should not intervene, all the more that the brothers were only studying here for a short while. And even if Lan Xichen or Lan Wangji were to do something to protect Wei Wuxian or separate him from the Yunmeng Jiang sect heir, it would solve nothing as they would go back to Lotus Pier in a few short months. He knew the rumours; he had also seen that Jiang Wanyin was treating Wei Wuxian more as his servant than a brother. But that was fine, after all, it was common knowledge that the Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple had been adopted and was not really a member of the main family by birth. Perhaps this was just how Jiang Wanyin was training his future right hand man.

He did not want them to talk in between the door, all the more that he had not seen his brother for almost a month and it would not be too courteous to just chase him away when he was already here. He could have come perhaps tomorrow which would make Lan Xichen happier and the visit more pleasant but he was already here so there was nothing to do.

He gestured towards the low table where his still steaming cup of tea was laid. Lan Wangji looked satisfied with being invited inside, thought he continued looking at Lan Xichen with that shocked and disappointed sparkle in his eyes as he made his way towards the table and sat down. Lan Xichen went to fetch a second cup and poured his brother tea. He then sat down as well, internally preparing for the conversation ahead.

He picked up his own cup and sipped the tea. He was stalling for time. He knew he should have prepared for this in the Unclean Realm already, if anything, his brother was stubborn and he should have known that he would not let the matter go so easily with just one letter. Yet, he had all but forgotten about it until now. And at the moment, he had to quickly come up with the correct words which would make Lan Wangji understand the situation and also would not hurt him too much.

Lan Xichen could already tell from the letter but it was even more evident up close. He had thought that his brother had just been jealous because he had become friends with Wei Wuxian but it did not seem to be quite the case. He was in love with the Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple. And Lan Xichen would have given anything in the world to know if Lan Wangji – and Wei Wuxian for that matter – was aware of his own feelings.

If the boys had already confessed to each other, this would be even harder. Lan Xichen could not have the second heir to the sect marrying a son of a servant, and a troublemaker at that. No matter how bright or intelligent the boy was, his future was already set and they would not be able to change it unless they would want to offend the Yunmeng Jiang clan. If the Gusu Lan sect was to request an alliance with them via marriage, even between two man so it would just remain a political bond and nothing else, they would have to ask for a member of the main family which Wei Wuxian was technically not. They could not rob the Yunmeng Jiang sect of their head disciple just like that. It would start an inter-sect conflict which they did not need at all right now.

There was another possibility as well; if Lan Xichen asked for a political marriage between him and Jiang Wanyin, then it would be fine for Lan Wangji to marry Wei Wuxian. However, even that was less than ideal. Lan Xichen would not be able to marry Jiang Wanyin even if it would be politically accepted. It would create a distortion in power balance between the great sects, the union between the Yunmeng Jiang and the Gusu Lan sects would be too strong with two marriages.

And, there was also a personal matter which would impede the union, his heart already belonged to someone else. The Gusu Lan sect already had strong ties with the Yunmeng Jiang sect, they needed an alliance with the Qinghe Nie sect now.

All in all, it was not a good idea to nurture the relationship between Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian at all. Lan Xichen should instead discourage his brother from chasing after him. Moreover, it would be a pleasant addition that if Lan Wangji took a spouse he would not love too deeply, there would not be any danger of him being overly protective of her and straying down the path their father had walked.

Yes, everything would be so much easier if Lan Wangji would keep his distance from the Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple decided Lan Xichen. Now, it was only the question of proper argumentation and persuasion.