Chapter 6

It did not take long for Lan Xichen to locate Lan Wangji. His brother was just getting a tray with two portions of meal on it. It was clear that he had no intention to dine in the dining hall, Wei Wuxian was also nowhere to be seen. This only accentuated Lan Xichen's worries about his brother becoming just like their father.

Though he was still giving him the benefit of the doubt. It could be because Wei Wuxian needed calm and peaceful environment to recover, especially if he had indeed suffered an episode of near qi deviation. It would be important for him to not become overly agitated at such a time.

And going back to Jiang Wanyin's side, no matter how much Lan Xichen would prefer that, would surely only worsen his condition. Even if the First Jade had told Lan Wangji that the relationship between the supposed brothers was a normal one, in fact, he knew that it was anything but. It was not a bond between brothers at all and it could be that it was part of the reason Wei Wuxian's qi had been so unstable.

However, Lan Xichen could not tell for sure. He did not have enough information and he could not draw a conclusion unless he wanted to assume it. Which was the last thing he would do, he could not go around telling other sects how they should behave while treating their disciples, Wei Wuxian included.

He saw his brother leaving the dining hall and hurried to talk to him. He hoped that Lan Wangji would be able to shed some light into all of this, if not him, no one would. Although the Second Jade looked at him as if he did not want to talk to him at all, Lan Xichen was not giving up. Once again, he could not read the younger's expression at all and it was starting to scare him a little. Until now, despite Lan Wangji's cold external demeanour, he could always tell what his brother was thinking, not this time though.

Still, he hurried to ask his questions. Lan Wangji seemed in a hurry to leave already and Lan Xichen did not want to chase him, it could arise suspicion.

"Wangji, I heard that Young Master Wei had fallen ill again and that you are taking care of him. I hope it is not something serious. Have you taken him to the infirmary?" He was doing his best to keep his voice simply worried for Wei Wuxian and not let his deeper suspicions about Lan Wangji becoming like their father be heard.

Lan Wangji was now looking even more unapproachable, something Lan Xichen had not experienced with him but during these last two days. It was shaking him to his core. For an unknown reason, he felt like Lan Wangji had closed his heart from him and he was sad and worried at the same time. He did not want to lose his sibling's trust over this matter.

Before he could spiral anymore into the depths of his own thoughts, he was pulled back up by Lan Wangji answering his questions in his very concise way: "Wei Ying's qi is disturbed. He needs calm to rest. I will play music to him until he recovers."

Lan Xichen frowned a bit. If it had been just yesterday, he would have said with unparalleled certainty that his brother would never lie to him, but today, he could not find the same assurance inside of his heart. He could not tell whether his brother was telling the truth right now or not and it was making him more uneasy than anything else. He had to take a deep breath to calm himself.

If he would start doubting his sibling's sincerity, then everything would be over between them. No, he would try his best to believe his words and stuff his doubts deep down when no one, even he himself, would never come across them. Better to change the course of the conversation.

He warned his brother again, hoping that this time, he would take it to heart: "I see; still, I hope it is nothing too serious. It would not be good if Young Master Wei became ill because of his time in the Cloud Recesses. What would his guardians say? He is after all the adoptive son of the Yunmeng Jiang sect leader and his wife. It would not be good for the Gusu Lan sect if anything happened to him during the guest lectures. We have been entrusted with his wellbeing so we need to prove ourselves as good hosts. Please take good care of him Wangji. And if his state should worsen, please do not hesitate to call upon healers to check on him."

For now, he was going to play along with Lan Wangji and let him take care of the Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple. He could also quite easily verify that his statements had been true. Although it would be on the very border of the rules, he could go visit him in the Jingshi – or pretend he was visiting him, he did not have to actually knock on the door or anything – and hear for himself if he would find something suspicious or if Lan Wangji would only be playing healing music as he had just claimed.

The part about not going to the infirmary to double check the diagnosis worried him slightly, but it was not as if Lan Wangji or Jiang Wanyin, or any other cultivator for that matter, did not know what the signs of a qi deviation were. Even if the episode had been just a minor one as the Yunmeng Jiang sect heir said, they would have been able to pick up on it immediately.

Lan Xichen would not be able to explain if his actions accidentally harmed Wei Wuxian by disturbing his healing process. He could tell that it would be better for him to be taken care of by Lan Wangji whom he seemed to trust a great deal than by un unknown healer, although experienced in the matters of qi deviation. He decided to go with the benefit of the doubt again and let his brother return to the Jingshi.

Lan Wangji nodded and Lan Xichen felt relieved that he was agreeing with him: "Good. I am glad you understand, Wangji. Please let me know if you need anything. I will speak to Uncle and let him know that you and Young Master Wei would be absent from the guest lectures for the foreseeable future. Please come to report to me about Young Master Wei's progress. It would not do if anyone started asking and we did not have an answer already prepared."

Indeed, they should probably inform the boy's family about his condition. However, Lan Xichen hesitated. He did not yet know what exactly had caused it in the first place so it would be better to wait a little bit. For the sake of Wei Wuxian's recovery of course, nothing else. If the Yunmeng Jiang clan would want to take their head disciple back right now, they could do him some irreparable harm. And on the other hand, if Wei Wuxian would recover within a few days, perhaps they would not have to inform them at all. That would be even better.

Lan Wangji nodded again and this time, Lan Xichen felt like he was truly agreeing with him, although on which part exactly remained a mystery. The first Jade bowed his head slightly to let his brother know that he was released now and could go to take care of Wei Wuxian.

He also headed out of the dining room, he had lost his appetite and he did not feel like eating anything this evening. He also did not think he would sleep too well with all of this on his plate. Still, he would at least prepare for bed, the routine should calm him down somewhat.

He only realized that he had not seen Jiang Wanyin in the dining room either when he was already back in his quarters. He dismissed the thought as soon as it had appeared. He had enough to worry about as it was. Surely the Yunmeng Jiang sect heir was only late for dinner, nothing more.