In which Nico is the darkness

Nico's P.O.V

"So, what's your opinion on cars?"

I rolled my eyes, anxiously waiting for Will to show up so he could kick this annoying twerp out of the infirmary. "Uh-"

"-yeah, same. I love how fast they go. It's amazing to be able to control something so powerful, don't you think?"

"Brett, I honestly could care less-"

"-yeah, I feel the same way. It's crazy how perfect we are for each other!"

I widened my eyes in shock. "What?"

"Anyways, what colour of car suits me best? I'd say red, you know, because red is such a dangerous colour." Brett continued the conversation, not paying any attention to me.

I raised my voice a bit. "What?"

"Huh?" Brett changed his gaze from arms to my face.

I took a deep breath. "What do you mean when you say: perfect for each other?"

"Well, if you look at all the things we have in common, I just think we'd be like the most perfect couple." Brett shrugged before changing his gaze back to my arm. "You have nice arms."

I felt a blush rise to my cheeks. "Uh, thanks?"

"No problem, anyways, don't you get to ditch this place today? I bet you're ecstatic to get back into your cabin, must be annoying to be surrounded by so many people in here."

I thought it over for a minute. "Actually, I've started to like this place."

"I thought you would- wait, what?" Brett's eyes doubled in size. Had he been another certain son of Apollo I would have burst into giggles, but seeing as he wasn't, I simply kept a straight face.

"I guess, it's not so bad here." I shrugged.

"But, I thought you hated this place! Weren't you reluctant to come in here in the first place?" Brett asked.

"I was, but then I decided that the world was going to become a small place if I avoided anywhere filled with people."

Brett's look of shock turned into a smirk. "I love how you can just admit those kind of things without being embarrassed or anything."

"Thanks, I guess." I replied as the door to the infirmary burst open. Will's hair was dripping wet and his shirt was on inside out, and yet I felt a flash of happiness shoot through me as he entered. Despite his rushed appearance, he held a bright smile on his face that seemed to brighten the whole room. Upon seeing Brett, this all changed. His smile dropped, making way for a slight frown mixed in with a look of anger.

"What are you doing here?" Will's eyes held a fire that I'd never seen before. It was only then that I noticed the two cups of coffee in his hands. One was murky brown, having obviously been mixed with milk, while the other was black, just like Will knew I liked it.

"Just talking. In fact, we never even came into contact with each other, if that's what you're worried about." Brett shot back holding his hands up in a sort of surrender gesture.

"No, that's not what I'm worried about." Will turned to me. "He wasn't bothering you was he?"

I knew that if I told the truth, any hope of a friendship with Brett disappeared, and frankly, I needed all the friends I could get. "Not really. We were just discussing cars." I felt a little guilty lying to Will like that, especially after the flash of hurt that found its way onto Will's face before being pushed away.

Brett on the other hand, looked like Christmas had come early. "Yeah, he said red cars would suit me because red's such a dangerous colour."

"Is it?" Will asked, his eyebrow raised. "I always thought red as more of a sad colour. After all, red is the colour of destruction."