In which Nico says thank you

Nico's P.O.V

The sun had just started to set, it's golden rays stretching out across the sky, as if trying to hold on to the last of the day, while the four of us were seated by the lake watching it in all its glory. Will had gone back to his cabin a while earlier to grab his iPod and speaker, and now we were listening to some Taylor Swift- a guilty pleasure of Will's that he'd admitted in our little game of truth or dare earlier. Will always found new ways to surprise me.

"Well," Grace jumped to her feet, "if you guys are content with just sitting here and watching the world go by, that's fine, but I for one, am ready to do something spontaneous."

Brett rose to his feet, albeit slower than Grace had. "Spontaneous?"

"Yeah, I'm thinking of doing something spontaneous and maybe a little bit mischievous."

The smirk on her face scared me more than I cared to admit. "What're you thinking?"

"I don't know about you, but Brett and Will," she gestured to the two blond boys, "barely ever break the rules. I think we should change that."

Will put his hand up. "Following the rules is what you're supposed to do, that's why they're there!"

"But haven't you ever wanted to just stay out and see the stars?" Grace asked, giving Brett her brightest smile. (Due to her father, it was a lot more blinding than usual smiles.)

Brett scratched his chin. "I dunno... What if we get caught?"

"We won't, don't worry." Grace shrugged of his concerns with ease before turning to me. "So, you in?"

I weighed the pros and cons for a total of two seconds before nodding. "Of course, breaking the rules is my speciality."

Will, however, didn't buy into the whole idea. "But the harpies-"

"The harpies are something Chiron made up to scare the younger campers into following the curfew. You worry way too much to be healthy, so tonight will be good for you." Grace cut him off.

I couldn't help but add to her little speech. "Yeah, doctor's orders."

"You!" Will turned to me with an incredulous look on his face. "How could you use my own words against me?" A small smile told me that he was secretly pleased that I remembered what he'd told me when he was still treating me in the infirmary.

"Just agree so we can go along with the plan before we have to set it all up in the dark." I smirked before poking him in the chest to regain his attention. "You know you want to break the rules a little bit somewhere deep down in your heart."

Will pursed his lips before grinning mischievously. "Alright, but we're going to go full out if I'm going to be breaking the rules."

"Oh we will," Grace grabbed Will's hand, "don't you worry your pretty little head." She took off towards my cabin with Will trailing behind her until her caught his balance and matched her stride evenly.

Brett looked at me with a hint of sadness in his eyes. "I never had a chance did I?"

Shocked, I was speechless for a few seconds until my mind was able to register what he's said. "There's just something about that tall softie that I couldn't overlook." I glanced at his face as a grimace of pain made its way to the surface. "In a way, I think I should thank you."

"Thank me?" Brett asked, his eyes growing wide with confusion. "Why would you thank the guy that made you so uncomfortable?"

I smiled at him and took his hand. "It's actually because you made me uncomfortable that I want to thank you. You taught me how to break out of my shell, to show my feelings. In a way, you even helped me become friends with Grace. Just because we weren't meant to be together doesn't mean we can't still be close. You're one of the few people I truly trust, and call my friend. I hope you know just how much you mean to me."

Brett pulled me into a hug. I was pleased with the warmth he gave off, while still managing to feel platonic. I knew he still harboured some feelings for me, but with time he'd find someone better for him. He deserved someone who can make him feel special. As we pulled apart, Brett sniffled, revealing a few stray tears that had squeezed themselves out of his eyes. "For a son of Hades, you're pretty optimistic."

"Yeah, well for a son of Apollo, you're pretty bad at singing." I teased, remembering one of his dares from earlier.

Brett simply laughed it off. "One day I'll find a way to make you sing, and then we'll see who's the better singer!"

I already knew that I had a pretty nice voice, but I wasn't about to let Brett in on that little secret just yet. "Whatever." I chuckled a little as I picked up Will's iPod and speaker before grabbing Brett's hand. "I feel like we should catch up to them, I don't want to know what they'll do to my cabin if we leave them too long."

"Yeah, I bet Grace already has your mattress set up on your roof." Brett grinned.

I pretended to scowl before breaking out into laughter. "Then we'd better hurry."

We sprinted after them with smiles on our faces and warmth in our hearts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I might do a bonus chapter at the end of the book of their afternoon (including the truth or dare) but I haven't decided yet.

It's almost over! :( I'm not ready!!! :( :(

Anyways, thanks again for giving me your support! I've gotten a few long messages that really warmed my heart, so thank you for taking time out of your day to read something I came up with (with Rick's characters of course) haha :P

What ship should I write about next? Leave a suggestion in the comments! :3

Question: if you had to listen to only one song for a whole month, what song would you choose? (Please don't say "let it go", that song is overplayed enough as is. :P )

Bonus question: MISSION ALERT! This update, seeing as this book is coming to a close soon, I want you to think about change. Life is full of changes, without them we'd never be able to move forward. So, keeping that in mind, I'd like you to think about how much your life has changed recently. Maybe you've just finished elementary or middle school and are going to a new school soon? Maybe you just moved towns and now have to learn to live somewhere new? It could be a little change, like getting a cellphone. Either way, I'd like you to think about the positive outcomes that have occurred thanks to this change. You can share your results in the comments if you'd like, or you can just keep them to yourself, it's completely up to you. :)

Thank you so much for putting up with my slow updates lately, I've got just under two weeks before I get to go home after a year of travelling. This is a big change for me, and I'm nervous about fitting into my old life before the trip, so I haven't spent as much time focussing on my fanfics. Bad author... I know. :P haha anyways, thanks again for sticking with me and encouraging me with your comments and votes. It really means a lot to me. :)

Thanks for reading, remember to smile, and spread love like butter! -Tianne :]