In which Nico is a good listener

Nico's P.O.V

"Good morning!" Will smiled after the laughing had died down.

"Morning." I replied while rubbing my eyes.

"I'm assuming you haven't had breakfast yet?"

I shook my head. "No."

"Then let's go!" Will smiled. I rolled my eyes before slowly sliding my feet off the edge of my bed. I slid down to the floor, my knees shaking from supporting my weight for the first time in a while. I glanced up and saw Will already walking out of the room. I couldn't let him see me this weak. I quickly hopped back onto the bed before I could fall to the floor. As I hopped on, the bed made a strange squeaking now causing Will to turn back around. The balloon of happiness that was Will's smile deflated upon seeing me still in the bed.

"What's wrong?" He asked, raising his eyebrow.

"Nothing, just not hungry." I lied, using it as an excuse to distract from my weakness. It appears my stomach has a guilty conscience, because it chose to growl at that exact moment.

"What were you saying about not being hungry?" Will scolded.

I sighed. "I'm... Too cold to leave the blankets?"

"It's summer." Will deadpanned.

"I'm-"

"-stop with the excuses! What's really going on?" Will cut me off.

I shifted uncomfortably. "I don't think I can make it there." I looked down to avoid his gaze, too afraid of the look of pity that was sure to be there. I began fiddling with my ring as I heard Will's footsteps getting closer. After a few seconds, the room fell silent as Will had finished approaching. Just like that I felt arms wrapping around me, engulfing me in a warm hug. I breathed in his fresh scent as I leant into his touch, cautiously wriggling my arms out of his hold to wrap around him.

"Don't ever be afraid to talk to me, knight." Will's comforting voice spoke in my ear. I felt a smile rise to my face as well as a blush.

"Alright, rookie."

After Will had gone and gotten me a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich for lunch, he plopped down in the chair beside me. I saw it move a bit from the excessiveness, but for once Will didn't fix it. I didn't want to bring it up and ruin the peace so I let it drop. I quickly finished my sandwich, pleasing my newly acquired appetite. I placed the plate back on the table beside me and turned to see Will already looking at me. I jumped back in shock, slamming my head into the wall.

"Are you okay?" Will jumped up as I rubbed the back of my head.

"Yeah, just got surprised." I replied trying to ease the pain that was sure to become a headache.

"Let me check, doctor's orders so don't even think about trying to deny." Will wiggled his finger in front of my fave before placing his hands on my head, pushing my hair around to get a better look at my scalp.

After a few minutes he spoke. "Looks alright, though you should be more careful; you don't want to get a concussion. I got one once when I got spiked in the face in a game of volleyball, and I couldn't play for three weeks! It was awful!" Will chatted on while I simply listened with a smile on my face. I liked listening to Will talk about himself and his past as opposed to myself. I think he needed someone to vent to, and I happened to be a good listener.

"It was terrible because the day after I got injured, we had capture the flag! I love the adrenalin rush that accompanies that game!" Will continued.

"Mhm." I supplied before he started again.

"You know that too many concussions can lead to depression? It's all about how the brain functions. I read it in a book Chiron gave to me. Supposedly that's why hockey players that retired got depressed. They had gotten too many concussions by not playing with helmets on, which led to the NHL changing the rules so that helmets were required." Will rambled on.

"Wait! Hockey? Why do you know so much about hockey?" I asked, honestly interested this time.

"It's one of my favourite sports to watch! I know I should like either the Rangers or the Bruins, since they're from New York, but honestly I prefer the Vancouver Canucks. Those twins are really something!" Will beamed, his eyes gaining a twinkle as he spoke so passionately about something he loved.

"When I get better, you should teach me the rules to hockey. I guess we'll have to play on gravel or something..." I trailed off not knowing where that had come from. Me doing sports? Why was I thinking?

"Maybe Chiron will let us use the concrete floor of the arena?" Will spoke to himself as he scratched his chin. What have I gotten myself into?

"Hey, Will? You don't have to stay here all day. If you have other things to do, I'm sure I'll find something to entertain myself with while you're gone." I tried to joke.

Will smiled. "As nice as that was of you to say, I actually don't have to do anything today. So, you up for another game of chess?"

Chess lasted a while until Will flipped the board over after I took out his queen. It was the third game, and after I had won both the other two, Will was beginning to get desperate. He smirked at me before gripping the edge of the board and flinging it into the air, sending pieces everywhere. Coming from someone as neat as Will, I wasn't expecting the reaction at all. Instead of immediately rushing to clean it all up like he once would have, he simply laughed and pulled me in for a hug.

"How are you so good at this?" He laughed, wincing a little when he landed on a rook.

"I used to play a lot when I was younger. The real question is when did you get so competitive?" I smirked before closing my fingers around my queen that had landed behind Will. I released a quick giggle before dropping the piece down the back of his shirt. He released me and jumped up at the contact of the cold piece to his warm back. He hopped up and began jumping around in circles as he tried to get the piece out.

"Hello?" Will and I immediately whipped our gazes to the door at the familiar voice.

"Hi, Chiron." Will replied as he pulled out the chess piece from under his shirt.

Chiron looked back and forth between Will and I before breaking into a grin. "Just came to check on you, but I see now that you're being taken care of excellently."

"Thank you?" Will asked, ending his expression of gratitude on a question mark.

"I believe it is I who should be thanking you." Chiron shot me a knowing look before leaving the way he came, silently and with speed. A few seconds went by filled to the brim with silence. I finally couldn't hold it back anymore. I released the smallest of giggles, followed by a giggle from Will. Before we knew it, we were back to laughing so hard we were clutching our stomachs.

My mother once told me that laughing with someone is the best way to show you care. By sharing laughter, you show them that you accept them. They don't have to restrain their emotions around you; they can just be themselves. It gets hard putting on a mask day after day, and sometimes it's hard enough to just be themselves. To laugh with them is to become equal with them. It shows them that even though you're not going through the same things, you still respect them.

My mother said some great things...

---------------------------------------------

:P started getting fluffy at the end but meh! At least I didn't end it on a cliff hanger!

The photo was too true not to share! Haha

Thoughts on Chiron and his impeccable timing?
Thoughts on Nico's mother's words of wisdom?
Thoughts on Will being a rambling ball of fluff?

Thanks for 10k reads! Makes my day every time someone reads this! :D
You guys all deserve high fives for being the best readers I could have asked for!
*high five!*

Question: what's the last scent of shampoo you used?

My answer: coconut :)

Bonus question: House on the beach or in the mountains?

Until next time! -Tianne >.<