Chapter 10: Reflection

Bell lied in his bed, boredom starting to set in. 

He opened his once-closed eyes, the fluorescent light that was radiated off of the long, bright lamps blinding him for a moment, before his eyes adjusted themselves. 

Huh. I wonder what Ren is doi- Damn it! 

He gritted his teeth in defeat, all too aware of the fact that it had been his 5th time thinking about him. 

Solemnly looking up, unable to do anything else, he briefly wondered why he cared about Ren so much. 

He had betrayed him. 

They were friends, but he had betrayed him and left him to die. Yet he couldn't get himself to hate him. 

Be angry? Yes. 

He had done a lot of that, lately. 

Want revenge? Also yes. 

He'd been planning an elaborate scheme to conduct his so called "revenge". 

But hating him, or even killing him? 

He couldn't do it. 

He wasn't even aware of what he would do for his revenge, simply the steps leading up to it. 

But it couldn't be killing. That was better saved for monsters. 

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he had tended to his wounds when he came back injured. 

Or maybe because he was only able to kill when he deemed the victim to be worthy of being killed. 

Monsters weren't sentient. 

They didn't have any feelings that he knew of, or a personal life that was worth being saved.

They were simply.. Well, monsters

They killed people in brutal ways for no reason. That was why they needed to be exterminated. 

But Ren? 

He had a Familia. 

He had Lili, Hestia, and other friends he was bound to pick up along the way. 

Ren was going to be a hero. He was sure of it. 

So that was why he wasn't someone who Bell deemed worthy of being killed. 

But, would a hero abandon their friends? Bell found himself thinking. 

Ren had a personal life, but it didn't change the fact that he had left him to die. 

His last words to him were "Goodbye, monster." 

Ren didn't acknowledge Bell as anything other than a monster. Nothing but something comparable to the beasts that resided down into the deep depths of the place where adventurers worked. 

Beasts that even Bell acknowledged as something that was meant to be killed. 

That was all he was to him. To Ren, killing Bell was something that was excusable. 

He had seen Bell brutally destroy those War Shadows. He had deemed Bell a threat. 

And he was.

He had lost himself; completely devoid of any sense of reason. It was as if his only purpose was to kill. 

But did it really excuse Ren's actions? 

Bell didn't know. So he simply decided to determine that later. Lost in thought, he didn't seem to notice that a visitor arrived. 

They stepped into the room carefully, to not disturb him as Bell lied on his bed, unaware of their presence. 

And then..

"Hello?"

"Ah!"

Bell jumped at the sudden sound of her voice. He quickly turned his head to see Ais standing next to his bed. 

She seemed to visit often, which was strange. 

She should really give me a warning next time she comes.. How does she even manage to step in so quietly? 

Bell brushed it off as something that Level 6 adventurers were just able to do. 

He finally began to form a proper sentence, easing the confused (And possibly concerned) Sword Princess.

"Oh, Ais! When did you come here?"

He spoke in a casual manner, an attitude unbefitting for the person who had saved him; Otherwise known as literally one of the strongest in Orario. 

He didn't even know how he managed to speak that way in her presence. They were barely even acquaintances, only ever interacting a few times. 

So how? He had no idea. 

It just managed to come out that way. 

He was glad that she didn't really care that much about it, seemly not taking notice of it, even. 

Despite his friendly and outgoing way of speaking, he was actually really intimidated by her. 

Why is she here? Does she need something from me? Oh god, is she possibly mad at me

He shuddered at the thought of a Level 6 adventurer being mad at him. 

But in his mind, there wasn't any other explanation for her frequent visits, and thus, he remained cautious around her.

"I just arrived. How are you doing?"

He trembled at her innocent question. 

Huh? What does she mean by "How are you doing"? Is she planning on killing me when I'm weak?! 

"I- I'm doing fine. How about you?"

"I'm doing fine too."

They continued speaking for a bit, Bell keeping a relaxed facade while unbeknownst to him, Ais fretted about his obvious attempt at keeping calm.

...

Ais continued to ask questions as she helplessly watched the boy's masquerade slowly break down the longer they continued to speak. 

She didn't know why he was pretending to be fine, but she decided not to pry, seeing as it would probably alarm the boy. 

She had felt responsible for his injury, so she took it upon herself to see him everyday as to help him. 

But she was only harming him. 

This always happens.. First the minotaur and then this. Why do I always end up hurting other people? She thought, just as distressed as the boy in front of her. 

Her first plan was to ask his name, but she couldn't find a good opportunity to ask. The timing just never felt right. 

She never really was good at social interactions. She should've just stopped coming. He always had a look of fear on his face that she always detected. 

This always happened. 

She couldn't stop Bete's ridicule of the other boy as he watched himself get mocked, and she couldn't stop this boy's constant fear of her. 

She sighed, she should really ask someone from her Familia for help when it came to these types of things. 

...

So, that's the end of the chapter. I'll obviously progress their relationship later on in the story, so it won't always be tense like this, but this chapter was just meant to show how things are so far. Also, 1000 words for 800 views! I'll get into the main story soon, so just wait until Bell recovers. If you have any suggestions or questions, please comment them.