Chapter Twenty Four - Resentment

ALESSANDRO POV

Uncle Ricardo and I were sitting in my office discussing some business.

"What was it that I heard about Matteo's little incident a week ago?" Uncle Ricardo caught me by surprise.

"Erm. He was in a bad mood. He's lost his car keys for a month."

"Only a month?! He could've gotten himself killed. What are you going doing to keep Aria safe if you can't even keep the others safe or hell even the fucking warehouse that I heard got attacked?" 

"We are dealing with it. It was a one-time thing with Matteo. Plus Aria cannot drive just yet and we have bodyguards constantly watching out for her."

"Oh really because a little birdy told me she was all alone with that Mario kid."

"It was a slip-up. We weren't aware she had run off with that kid."

"Ehm. I overheard you have a mole. What's the plan there? Do you think this mole will be a threat to your sister? She is different from the others. She hasn't been trained. She won't be able to protect herself." 

"I am working on it. Okay?"

"That's not good enough. You better find out who this mole is and make sure this never happens again. You need to be doing better before you risk everything here. Who would look after your siblings if something happened to you and Enzo and Andrea."

"I was hoping if under any circumstance occurs that you could be the twins and Aria's legal guardian."

"Of course, I would've but listen here. Do you know how bad it will affect the kids if something happens to their older brothers? They would have to move with me to Italy. Aria doesn't even know Italian."

"I know...I know but It's just hard. Aria's made everything more complicated. We are struggling here." I admitted it accidentally.

"How about I stay here for a couple of months until things settle down a bit." Uncle Ricardo offered.

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me yet. After a couple of months are up and if I am concerned about Aria's safety then I will become her legal guardian."

"But you said she didn't know Italian." 

"She'll learn while I am here."

"Okay, but she most definitely not moving away. I AM HERE GUARDIAN NO MATTER WHAT!"

"We'll see." he scoffed.

"No, you will see I have things under control after we deal with this mole."

"I am giving you two months, and that's final. Until then I will be helping you to catch the mole and will decide if you can keep Aria here."

"I AM HER FAMILY!"

"SO AM I"

"YOU'RE NOT HER FATHER! YOU ARE THE UNCLE! I AM HER OLDEST BROTHER. YOU HAVE NO FUCKING SAY HERE!"

"Listen to my words carefully young one. I am stronger and have been alive longer than you, so I will have the decision of what's best for my niece. Even if I have to go through court to do that." he sneers. 

"You cannot do that. We are in the mafia." I challenge him.

"You seem to be forgetting we are both in the mafia and so no one in the battle will expose the other without exposing themselves."

"You are a prick!" I assert. 

"At least I am not drunk, unlike your pathetic father. He couldn't even keep Aria safe from his wife."

"Shut up! Both of you were pathetic. Your father didn't even trust you to take over his mafia. You had to start by yourself. If it wasn't for my alliance with you then you would be on the streets." I said resulting in my uncle punching me in the face. He broke my nose causing it to draw blood.

"My father was also a drunk. He didn't know what the hell he was doing. He beat me and your father but I took all the hits. I took the blame for every stupid shit my brother did. The mafia should've been mine. Your father was weak it's why your mother left with your sister. She also said to me that she left the rest of yous because she knew you were too much like your pathetic father," 

"Why would she tell you this?" my eyes widen. 

"Oh, my sweet child. Your mother had an affair. I was the friend she is confided in."

"Who was it?" I demanded to know who this man was.

He would pay for it. He broke my family now he was going to pay no matter what it took.

"It's in the past child but just remember this, your father couldn't even keep a woman satisfied. How could he run a mafia?" he chuckled and slammed the door on his way out.

Fucking hell!

ARIA POV

We were all in the living room watching "The conjuring."I have no idea how they managed to convince me to watch this but Desi swore he would protect me. Every time there was a jump scare. I clung to Desi in fear. It would cause everyone to laugh and me to blush embarrassed.

All the cousins made an effort to get to know me except Nicolo who just sat on his phone the whole time. He would occasionally leave to talk to answer his phone to his girlfriend who he calls "Clingy."I will never understand how she puts up with him. He is so arrogant and self-entitled. He constantly talks about money or how great he is. He was constantly insulting his brothers, and it wasn't like teasing but just reminding everyone how he was better.

Doubt it, motherfucker! 

Would I get in trouble for punching him in the jaw? Yeah, but it would be worth it though.

THIRD-PERSON

Andrea and Enzo both got an urgent text in the middle of the movie. They were needed in Alessandro's office.

The brothers walked curiosity to the office. Wondering what was going on. They heard Alessandro and Ricardo arguing but thought nothing of it as it was normal for him to be yelling at Alessandro. They didn't think much of the situation until they were needed in their eldest brother's office.

When they got to the office. They walked in and saw him pacing back and forth in the room and a broken mug that was smashed in a fit of rage. They also noticed dry blood that had leaked from his nose. 'Uncle Ricardo must've hit him again' they both thought.

"What going on Alessandro?" Enzo broke the silence in the room.

"What going on? Well, our fucking uncle wants to take Aria away from us," he said as Andrea started wiping the dried-up blood from his nose and checking if his nose was broken.

"THAT WILL NEVER FUCKING HAPPEN. WHERE IS HE?!"Enzo raised his voice in rage. Andrea stood up and placed his hand gently on his shoulder "Let's find out what happened first before we go guns blazing. Understand?"Andrea reasoned with his toughest brother.

"We spoke about Aria, and he knew about the mole and wasn't amused. He is giving us two months to prove to him that we have everything under control or he will take Aria with him."

"We are protecting Aria just fine. I will not allow him to take Aria away with him." Andrea speaks in a calm tone but a hint of anger radiates off his voice when says "him" as he clenches his fist in anger.

"I know, but he has threatened to take to court." The brothers are dumbfounded.

"You have got to be kidding right?!" Enzo laughed but his tone was telling his brothers that he was outraged.

"I wish I was. So I want everyone to be careful for these two months. Anything we do could be used as evidence to prove we are unfit guardians to Aria."

"You don't think our cousins will snitch," Andrea asked with worry conveying in his voice.

"I honestly don't know. I want no fighting, and Aria will not be allowed to see Mario at all. No more rage rooms. Nothing that could be dangerous because the Jury might not approve. Don't worry about mafia stuff though as our uncle will not dare tread there because he would doom himself as well."

"Understood" the two brothers replied to Alessandro.

"Also, I don't want Aria alone with Uncle Ricardo. I don't trust him. I don't want any harm to come to Aria."

"He wouldn't hurt her. He seems like he cares" Andrea's eyes widen.

"Maybe not but just as a precaution. Who knows what he will say to Aria, so he can get her to go to Italy with him."