Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One
How We Met

"Since it's the last night, I wanted to end tonight's dinner on a light note, so is there anything anyone wants to ask?" Janay asked.

"Here she goes with the questions," Jean muttered.

Quiava chuckled.

Erica raised her hand.

"I have a question, and I think this one will make everyone happy," Erica said.

"What is it?" Janay asked.

"How do each couple meet?" Erica asked.

"That's a good and safe question to ask," Maddox said.

"Well, everyone knows how Maddox and I got together; our whole story played out in front of everyone here," Cardi said.

Cardi picked Jean and Quiava to share how they got together as she did not know what made them a couple.

"So, Quiava and Jean have been a mystery to me, so how did you two get together?" Cardi asked Jean and Quiava.

"Of course, Jean and I have known each other for a long time, but the night we revealed we had feelings for each other was when I was on a date with someone else, and Jean walked up to the table and just dismissed the guy," Quiava answered.

"I was at the bar, and I noticed how terrible she looked on the date, and I was kind of jealous seeing her with another man, so I did what I had to do to get him away from her," Jean explained.

"Okay, that's cute, but what made you, Quiava, want to be with Jean?" Erica asked Quiava.

"Aside from Maddox, Jean is not afraid to call me out on my bullshit and doesn't let me walk all over him. And he can cook, so that's a significant green flag for me," Quiava answered.

Jean decided to pick the next couple to ask questions about how they got together.

"Janay, did Axel sliding into your dms work?" Jean asked Janay.

Janay laughed and shook her head no.

"No, but it was funny, so I liked the effort he put into making himself stand out from all the other guys," Jamay answered.

"What made you say okay she's the one? Axel," Quiava asked Axel.

Axel smiled.

"My mom," Axel answered.

"What about your mom?" Janay asked as she never knew why Axel wanted her so bad.

"There was a picture of a little girl with my mom, and my mom was so sure that I would love that little girl in the picture. You guys know my mom died when I was twenty-one, but before her death, my mom used to tell me, you know after she died, that she would lead the little girl in the picture to me," Axel explained.

"I was the little girl?" Janay asked Axel.

"How do you know it, Janay, in the picture?" Brooke asked Axel.

"Because on the back of the picture was Janay's full name, then when I visited Cardi's mom's house, Janay had the same outfit on in a picture with Cardi," Axel answered.

"That's so cute," Erica said.

Janay teared up.

"You should have told me this sooner," Janay told Axel.

Axel wiped away her tears before kissing her on the lips. Axel picked the next couple to ask how they got together.

"So, Brooke and Marcus, what's your story?" Axel asked Brooke and Marcus.

"Marcus and I have known each other since middle school; then we ended up going to different high schools, but somehow we got into the same college, so we started dating our sophomore year of college and have been together ever since," Brooke explained to the group.

"We would have dated freshman year, but Brooke kept friend-zoning me so she could date this Alpha Epsilon Pi dude who I ended up beating up for cheating on and leaving her stranded at a party," Marcus told the group.

"That night was what changed my view on Marcus and how genuine his feelings for me were," Brooke said.

Brooke picked the next couple to ask how they got together.

"So, Amanda, you and Brock have been married for eight years; what made you say, okay, this is my husband?" Brooke asked Amanda.

"To be honest, I'm not going to lie, but I was in a situation that I desperately needed to get out of, and Brock walked into my life, and I just knew that he was my way out of a bad place, but I grew to love him, and I'm glad I took that leap of faith," Amanda answered, honestly.

"Brock, you're okay with what you just heard?" Marcus asked Brock.

Brock nodded.

"Yeah, because it was the same for me. I needed a safety net, you know, someone to bring stability into my life, and Amanda did that. We grew to love each other and are in love with each other even though we made some mistakes in our relationship, we have learned from them, and we are better than ever," Brock explained.

"I love the honesty," Erica said.

"I think it's nice to know not everyone's love story is cliche, and I know I have learned a lot from all of your relationships," Kayla said.

"Yeah, I have learned that there is no such thing as a perfect relationship, and we have to fight for what you want, and I think I'll be keeping a lot of things in mind when it comes to my relationship," Trinity said.

"Agreed, once I get a divorce, I'm planning to marry into the group, so send your single brothers, cousins, whoever my way," Erica said.

"Girl, I got you," Princess said.