Chapter 4: A Newly Broken Heart Is Hard To Mend

The dinner became awkward for everyone. Aadila caused a fuss making her father embarrassed and Aknamkonon really saw the reasoning behind it. They finished to their fill and Aadila was the first to ask permission to leave. 

"Father, Your Majesty, Your Highness. Excuse me." The weak 13 year old said with pure confidence, almost fuelling her disappointment in her father for the acceptance of the idea. 

"Aadila, wait. I need to have a word with you." Her father said sternly, quickly standing from his seat to tower over his daughter. She must had realized her father us beyond anger with her vocal disapproval. 

"Tarik, first let me have some words with you. Then you may speak to your daughter." The Pharaoh said. "Children you may all leave. Atem, I am putting you in charge of Aadila until I am finished speaking with her father." 

"Of course, father." Atem said happily, moving around the table to catch up with Aadila as she left the great hall. 

Tarik's sons and youngest daughter left slowly, looking back at their father before finally moving out of the adults sight. Quickly, Tarik began speaking. "Aknamkonon, my Pharaoh, please forgive my daughters rudeness. She is young and doesn't understand the situation and your kindness." He moved to his knees. "If you are angry with her, please take it out on me. I see I have not fully taught her how to respect someones kindness."

Aknamkonon could only laugh. "Why would I do such a thing? It seems that you did not see what I did while your daughter protested so avidly." He quickly moved his friend back to his feet. "Don't ever think that way again. I want to remain as we were before I became Pharaoh, and I don't want to have to remind you."

"Yes, of course. But what do you mean? I missed something? Are you saying that you understand why my daughter protested?" Tarik replied in confusion. "It is very out of character for her. What did you see when she protested?"

"A broken heart." That was all he said, nothing more, nothing less, wondering if his intelligent friend would catch on.

"That's it. A broken heart caused that?" Obviously he didn't.

"Do you remember when I lost my wife? At first, I could perform my duties without difficulties, almost too well. But do you remember what happened after a couple weeks?"

"I do. You changed completely due to the fact that your son was the spitting image of your late wife. It haunted you, constantly being reminded of her when your son was by your side. You became angry, ill-hearted and surrounded with grief. You didn't want people's pity for a loss that you blamed yourself for even though it was beyond your control." The Pharaoh had slowly moved into the next room, containing a senet board. Each took their own seat and set up the game, just like old times. 

"I never told anyone this, but I thought that I was being punished by the Gods for not fulfilling my duty as a husband. I was haunted by night terrors every night when I closed my eyes, and haunted by her image in my own flesh and blood. But then, I had a dream one night, different from the ones before. It didn't scare me, but it comforted me. It was of my wife and myself on the River Nile. It was identical to the very last time we had gone together. She looked at me and said, "Take it as a final gift I am able to give you. It's not a punishment, but a present for all you had done for me. You went beyond your duties and we were able to have a symbol of our love. Even though he may look so much like me, it shows you that I am not truly gone. A part of me lives within our son, so embrace him and I will feel it as well in the afterlife. Fulfill your duties as they should be done and remove the anger and sadness from your heart." When I awoke, I felt somewhat lighter and saw everything in a new light."

The Pharaoh was already in the advantage of the game when he had finished speaking, telling his friend something he had never told anyone before. Tarik had never been good at this game, they really only played with each other when they had matters that needed some distractions. The Pharaoh continued, "In her eyes, I saw the same pain and anger I felt those many years ago. Don't be too hard on her. She just doesn't know how else to process the dark events that have happened around her. It will take some time, but she will become happy again. It could be days, weeks, may the Gods forbid months, but she will find joy in things again. She just has to see that those people are happy in the afterlife and do not wish for her to be spending her days constantly missing them."