Chapter 9: Something He Wanted for Years

After the emotional encounter with the man in the hall, Amunet followed her aunt to the room where they would be sleeping. Amunet realized that this was a very different coronation than the previous Pharaoh's, who had it very public but it seemed like the new Pharaoh was doing it in private. Why not let the people properly rejoice the new protector of their land? She didn't really understand the meaning behind these actions but she wasn't going to let it bug her, after all she was getting the opportunity to spend three days in the palace! This was every persons dream and here she was being suspicious of how they were holding the coronation. She walked through the door after her aunt and saw two beds in a room that could have held three rooms of her master's house. The beds contained expensive linens and headrests, causing Amunet to groan at the sight of those uncomfortable contraptions. 

"Amunet!" yelled her aunt in disapproval of her dislike of the headrests.

"But they are so uncomfortable. I don't understand how people are able to sleep well with those torture devices."

"The Pharaoh could have kicked us out right when he saw us. Just bare with it for three nights and then you can go back home."

"Okay. I'll try my best." Amunet walked over to the bed closest to the window and looked out at the setting sun.

"Amunet?" She turned around and saw a worried look on her aunt's face. "Are you alright? What my brother did in the hall, it looked like you were going to tell him right there who you really were."

A tear came down Amunet's face. "He just looks so ill. I don't think his body would be able to handle the truth." More tears came from her eyes as she thought of the loving man looking so fragile. 

"But wasn't that the only reason you asked my master to come along? To tell him that you were a--..."

There was suddenly a knock at the door, causing Amunet to move onto the balcony to wipe away the tears and her aunt to answer the door. As Amunet calmed herself, she tried to focus on what was being said between the person at the door and her aunt. The voice sounded so familiar, but she just couldn't place it.

"Amunet, the person at the door is for you. I'll see you at the meal." Amunet turned around to the figure of her aunt leaving and the person that had knocked on the door facing the other way so their back was facing her. By the build she quickly knew it was a man and the linen he was dressed in made him a council member or a guardian. She had to be polite to who ever it was if she was going to be able to stay in the palace. As soon as the person turned around, she almost leapt with excitement, but she contained herself and smiled internally.

"I'm sorry to have bothered you just before your meal was served but I would like to talk with you a moment." Mahad said, his voice soft and comforting. 

"You are one of the Pharaoh's guardians, yes? I'm Amunet. What do I have the pleasure?"

"Don't play up that act with me. You may have fooled the Pharaoh and your family, but you can't get past me Aadila." 

She quietly laughed looking down at her feet. "I thought I hid it so well too. It's a shame the Pharaoh really thinks I'm dead. What made you so sure that I was me?"

"I wasn't. You just proved it to me."

"I see you haven't lost your weird sense of humour." Aadila looked up at the magician and Mahad 's face suddenly turned into a sad expression.

"Why didn't you reveal yourself in the hall? Your family and the Pharaoh act as though they mourn to this day the death of a girl that is not really dead. It's heart breaking to watch, especially your father. I know you saw how weak he looked and it is because he is refusing treatment by the magicians, just like the past Pharaoh."