Chapter 11: The Egyptian Gods

Aadila awoke at the same time as her aunt for the first time in years. Since she was pretending to be a servant, she was going to have to act like one eventually. Her aunt told her to go to the kitchen and assist in preparing the first meal of the day. Aadila walked down the halls half asleep, never having awoken before the sun had come up. She felt bad knowing that her aunt had to do this everyday, but it was her choice after all and being a servant is the only way in insure an income. Aadila walked to the roof of one of the palace sections for find only a couple of Atem's servants already there. 

"Good morning!" The younger one, who looked about 14 said, "You must be a servant of one of the guests, yes?" Aadila only nodded. She was too tired to produce a full sentence. The young girl giggled, "Would you like to help make the bread? We are about to start grinding it." Aadila simply kneeled down beside the older woman, who looked in her thirties, and watched to learn what to do. Aadila had always been a quick study and within a couple minutes she was grinding the ingredients into a meal just as well, or even better, than she was. A few more servants walked in and they helped the original three with the grinding.

There was only silence between the servants until one began to hum a tune. Still doing her work, Aadila looked up and saw that all women were smiling and humming a song she had never heard before. Then, one began to sing, "May the Gods give my Master strength and health" causing the rest of the women to join in as well. Aadila was surprised that they really think so well of their master, the Pharaoh. Aadila turned to the older woman  beside her and asked, "Why don't you sing a happier song? Try and make the time go by faster than a song like this."

"This song makes sure that the Gods bless the food we make for the Pharaoh. We never really sing other songs because, well, we can't" She added a joyful laugh at the end of her sentence before beginning again. "If we could actually sing, we would be the entertainment at the coronation, not the cooks."

"Well, maybe I could sing something? I've been told many times that I have a lovely voice."

"What you say girls?"

"Yeah!"

Aadila saw the smiles on their faces and couldn't resist to give them something different. They must do the same things day in and day out, it's no surprise that they would get bored. She thought of something that made her happy and the song sounded like this. Aadila looked up at one point and saw the older women having motherly smiles on their faces as she continued to sing. The younger girls had envious looks on their faces as they listened, never looking up from their preparing meal.

After she was done singing, everyone began asking her who the lucky man was and complimenting her on her beautiful voice. Aadila had been singing about the Pharaoh but it's not like they had knew that. She simply answered, "He's someone that I have been close to since I was a little girl. We were separated at one point, for some time but I never had a single day go by when I didn't miss him and worry for him."

"Oh my! You are so lucky! I want a love like that!" The youngest servant said, standing up with her finished meal and walking towards the clay oven. Aadila followed behind her along side one of the older women.

"You never know, you may meet someone. You are still young." The older woman answered.

"But I serve the Pharaoh, I don't think I will ever be able to meet a man in here."

Aadila looked at the entrance and saw a boy, maybe around 18 standing there and starring at the young girls back. When he saw her notice him, he quickly ran off into the palace. "You never know." Aadila said with joy in her voice, "There may be someone already in the palace that has noticed you. Men are difficult and don't like to show their feelings much. Just wait and I knew someone that is worthy of you will tell you his feelings."