Chapter 8: Just An Ordinary Girl

Five Years Later
It was the day before Atem's coronation and he was very nervous. His father had died less than a month ago and he already was having a responsibility forced onto him that he didn't believe he could do alone. He needed guidance and the people he could trust were no longer in this life. If only Aadila had been alive to help him through this, then he could possibly have found some courage within him to hide his nerves. Today would be the last day he would be known as Prince.

Many things have changed over the last five years. All guardians of his father's reign had been replaced, except for Aknadin, but it only seemed fit since it was one of the wishes before he moved onto the afterlife. Shimon would be an advisor to Atem, and Atem had told Shimon he would be informing him what he should hear about the city, not what he wanted to hear. Atem was hoping he could trust Shimon to do this because he, unfortunately, didn't trust the new guardians as much as him, except for one. Mahad had become a full fledged magician three years ago and was one person Atem knew would do what was necessary for the sake of Egypt. He would risk his own life for the people and Atem was not sure the others would go so far. That didn't mean he didn't think they were perfect for the positions, but he thought they had hidden agendas until he could see otherwise. 

Aadila's family still lived within the palace and Atem enjoyed their company. Tarik had insisted that they leave after the death of his friend but Atem refused to let them leave. They seemed to be the only people that seemed like a family to him and Aadila's siblings always seemed to find ways to make him smile. He couldn't get rid of that feeling when he needed it the most. Unfortunately, Tarik was becoming weaker and weaker as days went by from an unknown illness. He was refusing help from the magicians, most likely because of the fate his dear daughter endured on her own. 

The noble girl that had lived in the palace was removed days after the death of Atem's father. The engagement fell apart after his father fell ill and it appeared that the family had lied about their lineage. Instead of exiling them, Atem thought it only seemed right to let them leave the palace to continue their lives as they would have if they never came to the palace. They couldn't take anything with them that they had received nor visit the palace unless it was a public event. Shimon had praised Atem for his maturity on the first issue he had to deal with, even though it would not be official since the coronation had not yet occurred. 

Mana was still a magician in training, but she had come a long way since she first joined. Her spells were more accurate and she could control them for some amount of time. It was only that it seemed every other spell she tried to perform, something went wrong. Either she couldn't reverse it, couldn't hold it for more than a few seconds or something completely different occurred. It was causing Mahad sleepless nights, but otherwise he seemed to enjoy her determination. 

With everyone busy with preparations for the coronation tomorrow, Atem decided that it was a perfect opportunity to sneak out and see the city one last time. It had been months since he snuck out due to his late father's health, but he thought it only right since he would never be able to do so after he is named the new Pharaoh. Quickly, he snuck into the shadows, veiling himself with the hood of his cloak and moved through the palace toward the stables. When the coast was clear, he swiftly saddled his horse to ride to the gates. 

"I should have guessed you would do something like this. You never seemed to enjoy my company when you went into the city your Majesty."

At the door, there stood Mahad bowing to his master, then slowly walked towards him. "Mahad, I won't be long. I just want to see the city one more time without people noticing me and acting on their best behaviour. I'll be careful like I always am. If anyone asks for me, just say I want some time alone and I'll see them when I am finished with important affairs." Atem mounted his horse, looking down at the guardian that was more like his best friend. "I promise this is the last time I will do something this foolish."