21) memory and his shadows

Aesthetic for this chapter enjoy  :)—-Jason's POV—-

—-Jason's POV—-

I sat in my office the tinted windows not allowing light in from the busy streets of New York below. A glass of scotch ripped back and forth as I made the glass dance with the tip of my finger.

Suddenly the large mahogany doors open with no warning and I draw my gun within milliseconds my eyes darting to the target as I run my tongue along my lip tasting the bitter scotch once more, my second in command stood there burger pouring from his mouth and hot sauce dripping down his strangely shirtless abs.

"Red meat will kill ya" i mutter in thick Russian. The cocky bastard looks at me with a single raised eyebrow gazing at my form gun in hand glass of scotch in the other and paracetamol spread out unlabelled on the desk and a dead body pooling blood upon the carpet.

"Mhmm that smugness of yours really is an attractive quality" he speaks through his full mouth making me grimace as I pour the last of the colder liquid down my throat.

"Thank you it was either that or get my hair highlighted. Smugness is easier to maintain" I look in his eyes and he just smiles stepping over the dead body of some cleaner or something throwing a bundled up newspaper to land directly upon my desk sending the white pills flying across the room. He clicked his pingers and within minutes the body was removed the blood soaked rug along with it leaving no trace of the incident. That's how it always was.

Picking up the paper my eyes scanned the ink and sure enough it was there the headline easy enough for all to read I chuckled humourlessly throwing the paper down after gazing at her photo for a moment longer.

"You've made it quite clear that you're miserable here." My second in command spoke once more drawing my attention from the printed ink to him.

"I am not miserable." Yet my Russian accent seemed to contradict that.

"You're not happy." He rebutted.

"And you are?" We state at each other as he swallows his food his arms flailing around momentarily as he points about the room.

"With my job, yes." He said his eyes for a split second falling to the dead body but ultimately paying it no mind.

"I am exactly where I want to be doing exactly what I want to do." I said my gaze returning to the headline. 'Audrey Fallon found alive after week long search'. "Read the success and tragic story of young multi billionaire self made woman" i scoff at the titles. She was amazing before this and now the world wants to exploit her innocence.

"I think I sense a hint of sarcasm there" I vaguely heard as he left the room my phone ringing like a bad room com movie when the door shut with a click. I waited two seconds exhaling as I look the phone slowly bringing it to my ear

My eyes shift and from the corner I can see 5he blinking red light indicating the missed phone calls. I know who it is or should I rather say who they are but at this very moment thy are the least oh my concerns and so I continue.
"Miss Fallon is here sir" a monotone voice said. "Send her in". Dropping the phone the receiver sounded for a moment before the doors once again opened to reveal an angel dressed in white her ribs almost visible through the thin fabric.

She shook in fear her blue and purple painted skin a reminder of my art work as she came to be in front of me.

"Hello" I said slowly my accent altered to British to try and put her at ease.

"H-hi" she muttered.

"Audrey do you know who I am" she shook her head viciously as she focused on anything but me. I smiled sadly but also thankfully as I stood walking round the desk one hand in my pocket the other extended towards her "Jason, Jason Gatsby it's my pleasure to meet you...again" I chuckled at the added part as did she.

"Gatsby as in the great Gatsby" I smiled she remembered the finer details. "Exactly my daisy" her cheeks blushed a ferocious red.

"Can you tell me what happened to you" I said my thumb bringing her small gram to look into my eyes.

"Well I was in the....I was at a...warehouse, a warehouse where I was tied to a chair and I guess something bad happened because there was a lot of blood and a lot men with guns in black pyjamas" I laughed at her description of the police officers swat team "and they took me down to the hospital and for something about questioning and then someone said I was in shock or something and they sent me here" she muttered yet her words came out so confidently.

"And before that" images of the syringe flashed in my head the way the headless pierced her delicate skin. I knew she had no recollection I knew to her she was once again that delicate flower who got on random planes and believed in the good faith of humanity. I knew she was who she was supposed to be who she deserved to be with not a single tainted heart beat once more.the thought almost made my own cold heart warm momentarily. Almost.

"Ummm I was going to the air port I hadn't decided where I was going yet but the police said that happened months ago" she said saddened yet her tone was one of relief. Her eyes fluttered around the room but soon came to rest upon my one exposed hand that was decorated in silver rings and meaningless tattoos.

One ring in particular caught her attention as she absentmindedly twisted it around my finger her eyes filled with wonder and fascination as the little angel stared into the devils eyes she smiled wide and proudly her little fingers never leaving the cool metal as she confidently spoke through rose lips "are you my husband" her hopeful voice ran into silence.