Part 1

The old wind blows through the drafty walls as I pull the covers moreover Ella.
She snuggles closer to me with a faint smile.
I stare out through a gap in the too-small curtains into the clear night sky. Sometimes I wish I could escape it all just pick up and leave the orphanage but I know that Miss Lori would want me to stay here and help run the place even if she didn’t say anything.
“Pst. Pst. Daisy.” I see Peter as spider-man outside our window.
Oh crap!
I move Ella off my shoulder before slowly opening the window.
“Sorry, Peter.” I fiddle with the end of my frayed sleeves.
“I brought some extra food from the internship.” He says with a smile before handing me a rolled-up turkey sandwich. “You’re the best Peter.” I thank him before practicality inhaling my food. “Here have mine.” I shake my head. “No, it’s yours.”
Peter places his extra food in my hand. “I eat a lot at the tower.” 
I slowly nod before I finish eating. “How was patrol?” I asked barely above a whisper. “It was nice. The fresh air was what I needed.” I spot him smiling in memory.
“Did you see MJ?” I lightly tease him. “Maybe,” He smirks. “Does she know?” He shakes his head. “Only you and Ned.” His guy in the chair.
“When you end up dating her (Peter smiles) she’ll eventfully figure it out.” His smile drops and so does his mood. “I know. I just want to keep everyone safe.” He looks me in the eyes as he says this.
“Have you finished the voice changer for your suit yet?” He shakes his head sadly. “I haven’t had time. Mister Stark and Mister Barton have been watching me like a hawk for days.” He runs a hand through his short curly hair.
“Well, Mister Barton is also known as Hawkeye.” We both chuckle before we hear Ms. Newman walking up the steps.
We both give each other a glance before scrambling under the blankets of our beds.
Once I get in my bed she opens the door wide open cracking the leather belt.
It takes everything for me not to flinch. I hear her foot-heavy footsteps until she stops right where my head is.
It takes everything I have to keep my breathing slow despite my rapid beating heart.
I stay frozen until I hear the door close and her footsteps leave the room. “Oh my god, that was close” I whisper shakily.
“I know” Peter replies. “Auntie?” Ella rubs at her baby blue eyes.
“It’s okay. She’s just making her-“ I cover her ears right before a boy named Derik screams in pain.
I see Peter cover his head with his pillow while screwing his eyes shut.
I am the only one having to listen to the little kids screaming and the belt. After what seems like forever she barges into our room once more. “Daisy” She states rather calmly.
“Yes ma’am?” I manage to keep my voice even.
“I would like to have a word with you.” When she taps the bloody belt on the door frame I can feel my blood freeze.
“O-of course ma’am.” I slide out from under the sheet we use and slowly follow her out the door and into her office.
“You little witch!” I feel a hard slap across my face.
I don’t allow her the satisfaction of seeing the pain in my features.
“Do you have any idea what stupid ideas you put into their heads?” She slaps me again, only this time with the belt buckle.
I wince as I fall to the floor and feel the blood dripping from my cheek. “Answer me when I speak to you.” She kicks me in the ribs.
“I’m sorry ma’am” I whisper out. I regret it as the belt buckle smacks me against my back.
“I’M SORRY!” I speak louder, almost a scream but I remember the kids. “Good you may leave.” She spats coldly before hitting me again as I scramble to leave.
I run as fast as possible to the bathroom and shut the door.
“Let me see.” I jump at the voice. “Pe-peter?” I turn as he sets the first aid kit on the large sink.
“Where else did she hit you?” He begins to dab my cheek.
“Nowhere else” I flinch when he moves his hand.
“Your lying” He states calmly before putting a large Band-Aid on my wound.
“Did she kick you again?" He asks while inspecting my arms. I only nod once. “May I see?” I nod again and raise my shirt enough for him to see the bruise starting to form.
I jerk away from his touch. “It seems only sore. If it begins to feel worse tell me.” He says before closing the first aid kit.
We both walk back to our room. Peter hides the kit under a loose floorboard.
“Try to get some sleep.” He states sadly before laying down in his bed. “Daisy?” Ella rubs her eyes again while sitting up.
“Let’s go back to sleep.” I slowly lay down ignoring the pain.
“Okay”, Ella lays back down. Minutes later I hear her light snores filling the room.
I begin to fiddle with my heart-shaped ruby necklace before sleep slowly consumes me.