Chapter 11𒊹︎Not My Ball

(Play song above if you want to :D)

It was a normal day at the Vincent Drug Store, we bought a baseball to play with, since we ran out. A couple days after we all got over acting like big shots, the other boys swore off the hard stuff and just stuck to bazooka. But little did we know, this was the day Smalls got us into the biggest pickle of all time, and it all started with an omen.

Benny was the batter and Kenny was pitching, as usual. When Benny hit the ball, there was a loud CRACK, I jumped hearing it. Benny was about to run the bases, but he stopped. I looked to see why he was staring at the ball, and my jaw dropped. He had busted the guts off the ball. We all ran to the remains of the ball and circled around it. "Bitchin'." Squints smirked at the ball. "Nah, it ain't." Benny whined. "Come on, Benny man. Maybe two or three guys in history ever busted the guts out of a ball. Must be an omen." "All that means is that now we can't play no more. I mean, it's only twelve o'clock and I just ruined the whole day for us." "No you didn't, Benny." I looked at him. "Yeah I mean, that's the most amazing thing I ever saw." Kenny admired the ball. "Yeah." Yeah-yeah agreed. "Anybody got any money?" Benny asked in an irritated tone. "No." Everyone responded. "Then it ain't okay, cause now we can't play no more." Benny shook his head. "Yeah we can." Smalls spoke up. "What, you got 98 extra cents lying around at home, Smalls?" "No, but I got a ball." "Go get it!" Everyone yelled.

I sat down in the dugout with everyone else as we waited for Smalls to come back with a ball. "Why do I have a bad feeling about this." I thought to myself. I brushed off the feeling and just continued on listening to the boys weird conversations. "Dude what is taking Smalls so long?" Ham asked. "Yeah-yeah. He is taking forever." "Relax, he will be here soon." Benny rolled his eyes. Smalls finally came back with a ball, "I got it guys! I got it! I got the ball, guys!" He handed the ball to Benny. "I got it, here Benny." "Bitchin'. Your ball, your ups. Here you go" Benny said, handing Smalls the bat and the ball. "BATTER UP!" Ham yells. "Your fly's open." Ham said, distracting Smalls. He looked up and quickly swung the bat, earning himself one strike. "Haha. There's one." Ham kept muttering to himself as Smalls prepared to hit the ball. Smalls hit the ball with a crack, and it went towards Benny. "Yes!" He clapped, beginning to run the bases. The ball went over the fence and Smalls' smile faded instantly. He slowed down and stopped at second base, walking towards the fence.

Everyone was yelling at smalls to go to 3rd base, but he wouldn't budge. What was up with this dude? Benny turned from the fence and started clapping, "Yeah! Nice hit, Smalls. Nice hit. Yeah!" Smalls still stood there and shook his head. "It's outta here! Who's got the big bat now, boys? Yeah!" Benny continued to cheer for him. "Smalls?" He asked, stopping his chanting. "You forgot to turn!" Ham yelled, pointing to 3rd base. "You go to third base! Smalls? What the hell's he doing?" "Maybe the shock of his first homer was just too much for him." Bertram shrugged. We all walked towards him and we kept calling his name but getting no response. He slowly turned and he looked as if he had just seen a ghost. "We gotta get that ball back."

Everyone laughed at that. "Oh yeah, right. Good one, Smalls." Yeah-yeah laughed. Scotty looked as if he was going to cry. "Hey, forget about it, man. We'll just get another ball." Benny said as he took off his Dodgers cap and flicked his wrist. "No, you don't understand!" Smalls exclaimed. "Sure, we do. You feel bad cause you belted a homer, and now we can't play no more." Benny looked at him. "No you don't understand! That wasn't my ball!" Smalls yelled. We all looked at each other with confusion. Squints adjusted his glasses, "What do you mean, that wasn't your ball?" "It was my step-dad's. I stole it from his trophy room. It was a present or something. Somebody gave it to him...but we gotta get it back. He's gonna kill me!" "Oh-" Squints fixed his glasses once again. "Listen to me Smalls. This is a matter of life and death. Where did your old man get that ball?" "What? I-I don't know. Some lady gave it to him. Why?" What in the world was this kid smoking, cause I think I need it.

"Yeah, she even signed her name on it. Some lady named...Ruth. Baby Ruth." He shrugged. "BABE RUTH?! AHHH!!!" We all sprinted towards the fence and hopped on, slowly peeking over the top. I saw the big paw stomp on the ball and I heard the growls. We all screamed and immediately hopped off of that fence. "The beast got it!" Kenny panted. "You're as dead as a doornail, Smalls!" Timmy pointed. "You're dead as a doornail, Smalls!" Tommy repeated. "Smalls, you mean to tell me that you went home and swiped a ball that was signed by Babe Ruth, and you brought it out here and actually played with it?" "Actually played with it?"

Smalls was more confused then ever, "Yeah. Yeah, but I was gonna bring it back." "BUT IT WAS SIGNED BY BABE RUTH!" Squints exclaimed. "Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. You keep telling me that...who is she?!" He shrugged. "WHAT?!" Ham widened his eyes. "Say sike right now." I said with all seriousness. "Now we know who the real uncultured one is." Ham whispered to me. "The Sultan of Swat!" Kenny threw his hand. "The King of Crash." Bertram squinted. "The Colossus of Clout." The Colossus of Clout!" Tim and Tommy said. "THE GREAT BAMBINO." Ham yelled. Smalls widened his eyes.

"OH MY GOD! YOU MEAN THAT'S THE SAME GUY?!" Smalls ran his fingers through his hair. "YES!" We shouted. Benny finally lifted his eyes from the ground to look at Scotty. "Smalls, Babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player that ever lived. I mean, people say he was less then a god, but more than a man. You know, like Hercules or something." Smalls looked down, you could see the disappointment in his eyes. "The ball you just gave to the beast is worth more than your whole life, Smalls." I shrugged.

Smalls paused, groaned, and fell to the ground on his knees, "I don't feel so good." "Uh-oh. Fan him. Give him air, give him air. Come on." Ham rushed to him. We all took off our caps and fanned him with them. "We have to get that ball back." Benny licked his lips thinking of an idea, "All right, when does your old man get home from work?" "He's gone on business. Out of town, but the could be back any time." "All right, find out when, and guys, spread out, and look for bottles, and cash them in. We need 98 cents. We gotta buy us a ball."

We all ran out of the store with a new ball. We grouped up and rushed Benny to open the package. "Come on." "Open it up. "Hurry up!" "Give me something to write with!" I got a pencil." "I need a pen, not a pencil!" "Well sorry!" "Here, I got a pen!" Benny snatched the pen from Timmy and began writing on the ball. The boys taunted his handwriting and spelling skills, which made him a bit upset. "It doesn't matter what it looks like, his mom's never gonna know the difference! It'll just buy us some time you dorks!" He rolled his eyes at the boys and we all ran back to the sandlot while Smalls ran to his house with the ball that Benny had signed. It was salt in an open wound, Smalls was dead meat.

A/N: HOLYYYYYY that took so long. Anyway imma try to upload more often so don't worry lol. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and thanks for reading! :)

-Sofia<3