Chapter 15𒊹︎Mr.Mertle

(HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO PLAY SONG AT THE TOP!!)^^^

Sofia's pov:

The beast licked me, probably thanking me for helping him out from under the fence. I smiled at the dog, roughly petting the sides of his furry face. "Ohhh, your such a good boy! Are you just a little misunderstood baby? Hmm?" I talked to the dog childishly as the boys looked confused as hell. "Why are y'all complaining? Would you have rather seen my ass get eaten?" Ham gave me a look. "Shut the fuck up I ain't even mean it like that dumbass." I playfully flipped him off. 

(Ham rn^)

Benny shrugged laughing. "Benny come get yo girl! She be attacking me and for what?" Ham smirked. Benny and I made eye contact and bursted out into laughter.

We stopped as the beast barked and went to dig a hole. We looked at each other again and all followed him. He dug up a hole filled with about 50 or more baseballs in it. "Wow!" Ham smiled in awe. "Now we can play forever." Benny smiled at the thought. I frowned at the thought. I forgot I was leaving in 5 days.

Smalls, Benny, and I walked up to Mr. Mertle's front door and knocked. A tall man who looked like he could be in his 60s answered the door. He looked around as though he couldn't see us, "Hello?" "Hello, sir. We're here to return your dog." I smiled trying to be as polite as possible. "Hercules?" "Um, yes sir." "How'd he get out?" "Well- Well- We uh...uhmmm-" Smalls tried to find the right words to say. "Well what happened was, we hit a baseball into your yard and we tried to get it back." Benny said. "So you're the ones that was making all the racket?" The man said. "Yes, sir." Smalls mumbled. "You got it?" "Yeah." Smalls handed the man the baseball.

"Well this is the first time anybody ever got the best of old Hercules." He paused as he twirled the ball in his hands. "Why didn't you just knock on the door? I could've gotten it for ya." The man titled his head. Everyone looked at squints pissed off. The rest of the boys starting slapping him with their caps and spanking him with their palms yelling at him. The man laughed at the childishness the boys had shared. "Thanks for bringing him home. Come on in!" he dragged the dog inside. The 3 of us walked inside closing the screen door.

"You're in trouble, aren't you, son?" The man asked Smalls. "Yeah. Well uh...that was my stepdads ball. I took it without asking. It was signed by Babe Ruth." "George signed this?" "George Herman Ruth? yeah." "I take it back, you're not in trouble, you're dead where you stand." The man got up and reached into a shelf for something. He got a ball that was covered in signatures. "Here. Take this." "That's really nice of you, but that ball really is signed by Babe Ruth." Benny said. "So's this one, with the rest of the 1927 Yankees." The three of us admired the ball with beauty, naming out different players.

Smalls questioned Mr.Mertle on whyYiu he would give us that team signed ball compared to the chewed up Babe Ruth ball. The man insisted that we take it based on all of the items he had in this one room. I looked around and saw a photo of three yankees players. One being babe ruth and the other looking like a younger Mr.Mertle. That's when I realized, "You played with Babe Ruth?" I asked. The man smiled, "I sure did. I knew him, and he sure knew me!" He explained how he would play for the yankees and the story of how we went blind from a pitch that was too fast and high to handle.

"I'm sorry but I don't think we can take this ball." Benny said. "I'll tell ya what." The man sat up in his office chair. "You three come by once a week and talk baseball with me, I'll calm it an even trade." He smiled. Smalls shook Mr. Mertle's hand joyfully, "Deal!" The 4 of us smiled.

After leaving we explained to the boys what had happened. Everyone was still mad at Squints for dragging the whole beast story. We decided to all head home since today had clearly been a long day. Eventually it was just Benny and I left. "Hey Benny, I have to talk to you about something." "Yeah what's up?" "Well, you know how I basically live with Wendy as of right now?" "Yeah, what about it?" "Well that's for a reason. I was just-" My phone rang. "Hold on, it's my ma." I looked back up at him. We sat on his front porch.

Ma<3
00:01

Hola mi amor! Did you have
fun at Wendy's this summer?

Yes! It was amazing! I made a
lot of new friends too! I have so much
to tell you about when you come back.

About that, I called to
surprise you that we're
moving!

Wait huh?! When? Where?

To Huntington! Near Wendy!
Are you excited??

What? Of course I am! Oh I love
you so much ma!

I love you too mija. When
I pick you up you will pack
your stuff and we'll come back!
I'll see you in a few days.

Okay ma! I love you!!!

I love you too, bye!

CALL ENDED. LASTED 02:14

          "So what were you gonna tell me?" Benny asked. "Nothing." I smiled. "That's suspicious. That's weird." Benny said in Cardi B's voice. I laughed explaining that I'm from Calabasas and that I'm moving here to Huntington. "Well I'm gonna miss you when go to Calabasas for a week." He frowned hugging me. "Aw, I won't miss you!" I joked. He looked at me shocked. "I'm kidding!!" I laughed in his arms. "Your so mean." He playfully rolled his eyes. "No but in all seriousness, i'm excited to be here with you. I've been dreading leaving for hella long." I looked at him. "I know, but that's good! Now we can hang out all school year too!" "Yes! What school do you go to? Maybe I can apply there!"

          We continued our conversation on what life will be like now that i'm here and what plans we have. I heard a cat honk. I look and see Spooky in his car. "Oh, I gotta go, I promised I'd go with Oscar to hang out with him later." "That's alright. I'll see you later okay?" "Alright bye love you!" Without thinking I kissed Benny. He pulled away with wide eyes. "What?" I tilted my head. "SOFIA." I heard Spooky yell. "Oh shit." I ran to the car and got in.

          He started driving. "What the fuck was that?" He looked at me. "What, I can't have a boyfriend now? Oscar i'm 15!" "Nope." "Dude that's not fair." I rolled my eyes at him. We came to a red light. He sighed and looked at me. "If he hurts you, I will kill him." I hugged Spooky." "Love you hermano!" "Whatever." He said, taking off at full speed making me fall backwards. He laughed at me and I pouted slumping down in the front seat as a joke. "Bully." I crossed my arms.

-TIME SKIP-

I had just finished moving into my new house. It took about 3 weeks but that's okay! It turns out I live down the street from Wendy and Benny, so that's convenient. Benny and I are in a happy relationship and Wendy and I have been hanging out a lot. Same thing with the sandlot boys. I really like this more than where I used to live. Now I have new friends, new appearance, new boyfriend, new school, everything. Sure, I may have know the sandlot boys for 5 months, but I know damn well I wouldn't change it for the world, especially Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez.

Benny, it's...

All About U

A/N: HELLO! I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS BOOK!!! I loved making this and I hate to say it but this is the end. I might make a one shot book where it's just little short stories, but let me know! Thank you so much for reading and voting, it means a lot to me! I would appreciate it if you would check out my other books too, thanks! With that being said, thank you so much again, and this is the end of "All About U".

-Sofia <3