CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: Where Do We Stand?

"Guys...does this seriously happen all the time..? If you're telling me the truth, I really think he should be evaluated by a medical professional..."

Ace and I had been shackled together for three days and counting, and this was the sixth instance where the man had slipped into complete comatose whilst eating. I'd already gained the reflex of catching his head before it smashed his meals.

"Nah, he's fine, yoi. Just a little narcoleptic. The only way that would cause a real issue would be if he were to crash out during a fight, but that hasn't happened yet, so..." Marco shrugged his shoulders, entirely unphased by the situation, so I chose to leave the problem for another day.

"What are we talkin' about?" Ace suddenly sat straight up, as though he hadn't just been snoring away, drooling into the palm of my hand, which I was now wiping against his bare shoulder. 
"You, being a freak of nature. Nothing new." I muttered, pushing my food over to him, now having lost my appetite. My insult was cancelled out by my offer, and in a matter of seconds he had his cheeks stuffed like an oversized chipmunk. 

He's kind of cute when he's just...wait, oh, nonononoNO. Nuh-uh. 

Shaking the horrendous thought out of my head, I was brought back to reality when the wooden bench seat beneath me creaked, and I slowly turned to see a large man with unruly black curls seated next to me, his grin riddled with gaps and holes. As cruel of me as it may have seemed, I instantly took a disliking to him, even though he hadn't even had the chance to open his mouth. 

"Teesh! Haths I gun bah-ee?" Ace attempted to greet him with an overstuffed mouth, managing to send a great deal splattering onto my face and clothes. The hulking man laughed heartily before turning his eyes down towards me, his friendliness unfaltering. 
"We haven't been formally introduced. The name's Teach." Wiping off his greasy hand, he held it out for a shake, and I forced myself to oblige, even though he was giving me real creeper vibes. I didn't want to be pissing off anybody other than Ace. 

"(Y/N). Nice to meet you..." I introduced myself in my most polite voice, but I was sure it petered out towards the end. Teach was big, hairy, and he certainly didn't give off a pleasant odor, but I really wanted to stop myself from judging him so quickly. I had a habit of it, and due to the fact I was still very much alive on the Moby Dick, my judgement was often wrong. 

I yelped as I was nearly hoisted into the air by my wrist when Ace stretched his arms up, his yawn deciding that midway through that it would transform into a godawful belch. 
"Well, I'm stuffed! It's post-breakfast nap-time!" He announced, beginning to stand up, which meant I had little choice but to follow. 
"You literally just had a nap in your breakfast! I don't wanna be stuck loitering around while you sleep, you lazy ass!" I snapped, but it was no use. He had made up his mind and continued on towards the deck, and I looked back to see both Marco and Teach waving teasing farewells. 

"Huh? No I didn't. Anyway, I'm still a young man who needs his energy, so sorry, Pancake, you're gonna have to deal with it." Deciding that he was just going to sit himself down on the floor of the deck, down Ace went, arms moving behind his head and his back resting against the wall. "I mean, you're more than welcome to join me if you wanna? I know that the thought of cuddling up to me again is hard to resist. I'm damn comfortable." 

Feigning a gag, I leaned against the guard railing, the wind catching my (H/C) hair which caused it to whip along in the same direction, as well as all over my face. 
"Oh. Wow. You caught me. It's all I've been able to think about for the past decade of my life. However did you know?" I replied sarcastically, watching him tip his orange hat so the brim shaded his face. 
"I'm gonna pretend you're being sincere, otherwise my heart might break into itty bitty pieces." Ace snorted before going silent. It took a ridiculously short time until I heard him lightly snoring, so I took a moment to look down at him to really study the man without him jumping around like an idiot.