CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: Unconventional

Over the course of the next few months, life was good. Whilst I hadn't found a solid position within the Whitebeard Pirates, I did whatever I could to help out and make myself useful. Assisting Marco in the infirmary, helping with maintenance of the Moby Dick, fighting in the rare occurrence that we needed to. The only place I wasn't allowed to go was the kitchen, but I was still working on that. Thatch couldn't keep me out forever, no matter how much he feared for his vegetables. 

Ace and I had quickly fallen into a fresh normalcy that seemed to even surprise the people closest to us. It was as though we had been together for years, seeming to skip the honeymoon stage with all the over the top, lovey dovey public displays of affection. Sure, we still shared a sweet kiss or a brief hug here and there throughout the day, but it was rare for us to rub it in our crewmates' faces. I was sure they appreciated that. 

After the first two weeks, I had surrendered my room in favour of moving into Ace's. It had been his idea, and even though I did enjoy my moments of privacy, something about going to bed, into his waiting arms, made me almost giddy with joy. However, he still respected my need for time alone, and would give me however long I needed without intrusion if I asked for it. 

Travelling the seas of the Grand Line, I was introduced to more members of Whitebeard's grand fleet, the most notable of whom was the hulking captain of the Little Pirates, Little Oars Jr. Standing at sixty feet tall, he had unnerved me at the start, but once he began excitedly telling me the story of how Ace had woven him his very own kasa hat, to shield him from the scorching sun. 

Little adventures like that made such a difference in my life. Back in Dressrosa I had been so shielded from the world outside of Doflamingo's design, and I felt like I had to catch up. I had missed out on so many experiences growing up, and it looked like Ace was doing his best to make up for it, alongside Marco, Thatch, even Whitebeard himself. I had finally found a real home. A family not only by title. 

"Out out out out!" I yelped out loud as Thatch's broom struck my behind again, skittering to find shelter behind the very amused Deuce and Teach. "Don't talk to me or my carrots ever again, you vegetable-mutilating harlot!" Teach's hand came down heavy upon my head, further messing my (H/C) hair as he uttered a hearty chuckle. 
"Aw, don't be too hard on the kid. She's just trying to help." 

Unconvinced, Thatch closed an eye and pointed the broomstick in my direction, lining it up perfectly between my eyes from a distance. 
"Don't let her fool you, brother. She's a murderer. A produce murderer. I shall not condone it." He warned, only partially joking. It had been my third attempt for the week, but I was wearing him down. At least I hoped I was. I missed hanging out with him in the galley and having our little talks. 

"Oh, come on, Thatchy-Poo! I just wanna sit and chat! I won't touch anything, I swear on my life!" I pleaded, still hiding behind the pair of older pirates as he threatened me with the broom. He took a step forward, prompting me to skitter further away, almost out the doors of the mess hall. 
"I love you, girly, I really do, but so help me God, if you try it again I'll be serving your ass as the next meal, roasted and sliced!" He had said that same line more than once already, but I knew he didn't mean it. Well, I hoped he didn't. 

"Ass? What ass? I'm looking and I see nothing but flat, barren plains." Marco leaned backward and squinted towards my backside, unable to hold back his cheeky little smirk when I snorted. 
"Screw off. This is unfair. A grandpa like you gets thick, juicy buns, and a sexy little creature like myself gets not a single curve? This is unjustifiable and I wish to press charges." That was our dynamic nowadays. It was very similar to how Ace and I interacted, minus the romantic and sexual attraction. We would tease each other relentlessly, but if a situation required for us to be serious, we could in a heartbeat.