CHAPTER THIRTY: Hell Hath No Fury

"Ace, I love you, but enough is enough. It's time to get up, alright?"

Ace groaned loudly against my chest, nuzzling in closer with absolutely no sign of letting me go any time soon.
"Nooooo...Twenty four more hours..." He complained, nose tickling my skin. My lips stretched to form an adoring smile, brushing his hair out of his face so I could see him properly.

I couldn't believe that we were married. Honestly, I had expected to feel conflicted once the deed was done, but all that I felt was pure joy. No second guessing, no regret. I loved him, and marrying him had been no mistake.

"One, two, three..." Quietly, I began to count, my fingers tracing his bare shoulder.
"What'cha doin', wifey..?" Ace hummed in question, sitting himself up a little to investigate.
"Counting your freckles. It might take me a while, Pepper." I chuckled in return, beaming when he pushed me back down into the pillow.

"We've got the rest of our lives for that. How about we kick off the start of our honeymoon with a little romp instead?~" The ravonet purred, beginning to gift my face with an abundance of kisses. Not fighting him away, I let him spoil me with his affection, my uncovered body warm and reactive against his.

"We've got the rest of our lives for that, too, you horn-dog." I snickered, stretching and reaching to loop my arms around his neck. He was giving me that look again. The one that made me feel like the most important person in the world. His world. I hoped that my look was giving him that same impression.

"You're beautiful, you know that? Absolutely, one-hundred and fifty bazillion percent, unarguably, flawlessly beautiful. How did I ever get so lucky?" He sighed wistfully, and I tapped the tip of his nose with my own, smirking.
"I felt bad for you, so I threw you a bone." I teased, realising all too late that it would only push him into one of his more devilish moods.

"Oh, really now?" With no warning, Ace began to assault my ribs with his fingers, tickling me relentlessly and giving me no room to flee. "You telling me the truth, Pancake?"

Cackling like a madwoman, I rolled and squirmed, a thigh either side of his hips as he attacked me without falter.
"M..Mercy! Uncle! Parley! Quit it, Ace..!" I squawked, knowing full well and good that this was one of his cheeky tricks to get me grinding up against him. I didn't at all mind it, though. "Ace, I swear to-"

We both nearly leapt out of our skins when the door slammed open, and, before we even bothered to look at who had intruded, Ace laid himself down over the top of me to shield my naked form.

Standing in the doorway, face pale and distraught, was Marco. He was quite obviously in shock, but after I took a moment to study him, my stomach dropped when I realised it wasn't due to the position he had found us in.

His eyes were wide and bloodshot, and there were fresh, glistening tracks down his cheeks. Breathless, a state I had never seen him in before, and panicked.

"M..Marco..? Hey, are you okay?" Sitting up, I snatched the sheet from the bottom of the bed and pulled it around myself before standing up and approaching him. Ace remained kneeling on the bed, stark naked and concerned.

The moment I got close enough, Marco took me by the shoulders, his grip tense and involuntarily strong. He looked as though he was trying to form a string of intelligible words, but it was coming as a great difficulty.

Something bad has happened...

"Marco, hey, honey, you're okay. Try to breathe." I tried to soothe him as best I could, and Ace quickly joined my side.
"What happened? You're freaking us out, man..." Marco's eyes flitted from mine to Ace's repeatedly before he seemed to blink out of his catatonic state, swallowing dry before his mouth managed to spit the words he needed to say like arrows.