CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: Tug-of-War

The days went on, and Ace and I just couldn't seem to return to our form of normal. Sure, it got easier, but there was that lingering mortification that just wouldn't go away.

He had been busier lately, so I at least got a little reprieve. I bided my time by stressing Thatch to the point of having a poorly doodled 'banned' poster stuck to the door to the kitchen, playing endless rounds of blackjack with Pops, and asking Deuce to brainstorm his book ideas with me.

Marco and I got a lot closer, with almost Ace-level teasing coming into the mix, but it was enjoyable. At least he never commented on the size of my chest, and I wouldn't use any pineapple related jokes regarding his head as a way of thanks. The bird taunts remained, though. How could they not after I had seen him perched on Whitebeard's shoulder like a parrot?

"Here, let me carry this for ya." I heard a voice before the large barrel of booze was lifted from my arms, and I saw Teach smiling down at me. Returning in mind, I rubbed at my back, glad to be rid of the weight.
"Thanks. It was heavier than I anticipated." I chuckled awkwardly.

I still wasn't sure what to think of Teach. He was nice enough, and always offered to lend me a hand, but there was still something about him that seemed off to me. However, I tried not to let it eat at me too much. It was probably just his face.

"To storage, right?" He asked, and I started to walk alongside him, nodding my head.
"Yep, and I probably would have tripped and snapped my neck if I had to go down those stairs, so again, thanks, man." I liked to think I was strong, but in reality, my size made it harder to catch up to everyone else.

"Can't have that, now can we? Oh, before I forget, Ace was looking for you. I think he got caught up chatting to Pops, though." Teach explained, and I internally groaned. I wanted to spend time with him, but I also dreaded it. It was so hard to act normal around him.

"Thanks. I guess I'll go find him, then..." Sighing, I parted from Teach and wandered aimlessly around the Moby Dick, doing anything but hunt for the freckled commander. If he really wanted to see me, he'd find me himself. He always did.

A few hours went by, and I ended up at the entryway to the kitchen, squaring up against Thatch, who blocked my way.
"Come on! Just because my chopping isn't up to your freakish standards?! You could use my help!" I complained loudly, but he wasn't going to move an inch.

"Look, (Y/N), honey, outside of this kitchen, you're a great friend, and I appreciate everything you do, but I would sooner shave my head and shoot myself out of a cannon than let you back in here." He responded, causing me to gasp with incredible dramatic flair.

"This is a hate crime! Justice for asymmetrical vegetables, dammit! They all end up looking the same on the way out, anyway!" I knew he wasn't going to budge, but arguing with him was passing the time, and I knew for a fact that he was getting a kick out of it as well, despite his kitchen ban being legitimate.

"Viva La Sketchy Looking Potatoes!" My entire body flinched when I heard Ace shout from behind me, but I quickly composed myself, straightening back up.
"Yeah. Viva La that!" I nodded firmly, yelping as Thatch nudged me backwards, my back connecting with Ace's chest, his hands moving to catch me by the arms.

"Viva La quit making me fall behind with meal prep, Missy. Go terrorise someone else for a while." Shooing me away with a limp wrist, Thatch disappeared from the doorway, and I was left with Ace still holding me.

"Well, shit. I'll get back in there somehow, even if it's the last thing I do." I muttered, trying to distract myself from my hearts rapid beat increase.
"Well, before that, I wanna have a word with you, so could you come with me?" For some reason, Ace's voice had switched to a more serious tone, and it made me nervous.