Chapter 9- Langa's POV:

"So, as I said earlier, my mum might be really really excited that I brought a friend home..." I cringe.

"That's okay! I want to meet her!"

I open the front door, greeting the picture of Dad as I always do. Reki seems confused.

"This was my dad," I explain, gesturing to the photograph, "I, um, kind of talk to the picture."

Reki stays silent and looks at the old photo in the golden frame, eyes wide.

"You probably think that's weird..." I mutter.

"Absolutely not!" The redheaded boy gasps, "I was just trying to think of what to say to him!"

I try really hard not to choke up as I pull my shoes off.

"Hi, sir. I'm Langa's friend. I promise I'm taking good care of him." Reki says, bowing his head as a greeting.

Without thinking, I stand up and grab him in a hug.

"What's this for, then?" 

"For taking good care of me, obviously..."

We're quiet for a moment. I just want to hug him forever.

"I bet he was a great father." Reki says.

I pull away, smiling.

"He was. Now meet my mum." I say, and I pull him into the living room, where Mum is sitting curled up in a blanket on the floor, watching some documentary about birds on our TV. She doesn't notice us until I speak.

"Mum, I'm home, and this is Reki."

"Hi..." Reki smiles.

"So you're the boy I've heard so much about!" She cries, jumping up from her previously relaxed position.

"Er, I guess so!"

"Is it alright if he stays here tonight?" I ask, completely sure she'll say yes.

"Of course! Do you guys need anything? Food? Water? Where are you sleeping?"

"Thank you, no, no, no, and we're sleeping in my room." I reply, embarrassed.

"Okay! I won't annoy you. Nice to finally meet you, Reki! Langa never shuts up about you, he's always saying how you're so talented and smart and..."

"Uh, that's enough!" I say hurriedly, cutting her off before she can tell Reki any more things I've told her about him...

We run upstairs to my bedroom, with me quickly gesturing to doors and stating which room is which.

"So, what have you been telling your parental unit about me?" Reki smirks, sitting down on my bed.

"That you're the most annoying person ever." I say sarcastically, hitting him with a pillow.

"Oh yeah?" The redhead chuckles, picking up another pillow and throwing it at me, "If I can beat you in a pillow fight you take that back!"

"What's in it for me?"

"I don't know. What do you want?"

I think about this question for a moment. The answer, when it comes to me, makes me blush.

"Okay, I think I know," I say, and I stand up, holding the feather pillow like a shield, "let the war begin."

Reki jumps up and instantly whacks me, and I respond with the same action. Soon we're hitting each other over and over again with the pillows, trying really hard to laugh quietly.

"Do you give up yet?" Reki asks me, hitting me once more and pinning me to the ground in one swift movement.

"Yes! You're not the most annoying person ever!" I cry, gasping for air through my laughter.

He smiles down at me, leaning down.

"I am, actually," he sighs, "but only I'm allowed to say so."

We look at each other for a moment, and I suddenly become very aware that Reki still has me pinned to the ground and our faces are centimeters apart.

He clearly gets embarrassed too, because he gets off me and lies down next to me instead.

"Want to get some sleep, now that you've won the war?" I ask.

"Sure."

After we're changed into some more comfortable clothing, we lie down, staying a good 30 centimeters away from each other, like the most awkward people in history.

I flick the light off and look to my friend lying next to me. He extends his arm as to ask me if I want to come closer. I do.

"This is kind of awkward, isn't it?" I whisper.

"A bit." Reki replies, making me blush as he hugs me closer to him, "But let's just go with it."

Thoughts rush through my head, what seems like one hundred per minute.

As time passes, we relax and eventually we're nearly asleep.

"Hey, Langa?"

"Yeah?"

"What would you have asked for if I'd lost the pillow fight?"

I'm not expecting that question. I had known he would win so I wasn't intending on sharing the answer I had in my head.

"I don't know." I lie.

"You're a trashy liar. C'mon, I want to know."

I bury my face in the pillow I'm lying on, groaning.

"Please?"

I roll over to face him again, panicking.

"If you promise not to tell anyone..."

"I won't, I swear."

I feel nervousness bubbling in me as I take his hand, bringing it up to my face, and I kiss the back of his hand gently.

"I wanted to get you back." I admit.

He smiles at me.

"You wouldn't have needed to win a pillow fight to have been able to do that."

I feel my breath hitch in my throat and my eyes widen at this response. Is he saying what I think he's saying?

"What...?"

"We're supposed to be acting like a couple, remember?"

My heart falls to my feet when I hear Reki say this. He's right. We're acting, and that's all.

"I'm kind of tired." I mutter, looking away, trying to hide my disappointment.

"Langa, are you okay?"

"Yeah, fine." I lie, pretending that the word "acting" doesn't break my heart.

Once again, we are left in awkward silence, but soon I feel Reki's hand on my torso again and we fall back into a curled-up position.

I don't know how long we lie there in a semi-conscious state, but I do know that I can't help but start daydreaming about doing this all the time.

How everything would be if we were really a couple. How great it'd be.

We would go on dates on weekends, and skate while holding hands all the time, and we'd hug each other as a hello and goodbye.

He'd be an amazing boyfriend, too. I know that he would. He's amazing at being a pretend one, so why would it be any different than this?

I get my answer as Reki, who is now asleep, hugs me tighter, burying his face in the fabric of my shirt. I feel like I'm on a roller-coaster.

Because then I'd have to tell him I'm in love with him...