16

Chapter 16- Reki's POV:

"Hey idiot. How are you feeling?"

I smile as the familiar sight of Koyomi becomes clear.

"I'm okay," I murmur, "kind of tired though. Where's Mum?"

"Talking to the doctor," she says, sitting down on the bed next to me, "are you too broken for me to give you a hug?"

"Never..." I say, trying to shift myself up to a sitting position. I fail due to the brace restricting the movement of my spine, and sigh in defeat.

"Wow," my sister giggles, "you've done a good job."

She gently leans down and wraps an arm around my shoulders, trying not to hurt my back any more. I sit my head on her shoulder, pissed that I can't hug her.

The doctor and my mother enter the room, the latter looking a lot better. Until she sees the state of me.

"Oh, sweetheart." She sighs, looking me up and down, "you've really bashed yourself up there."

"I'm fine!" I protest, despite my arm being in a cast and the fact that I can't move.

"You will be," the man in the blue medical uniform smiles, "you haven't broken your spine; however, you did manage to sprain it."

"Is that even medically possible!?" I gasp. It sounds weird, someone telling me I've sprained my spine...

"Yeah, it is, but usually it's caused by bending your back weirdly or being overweight. You must've fallen at a strange angle." Koyomi says matter-of-factly. I look at her in complete shock, as if to ask how she knows this.

"Well, yes... that's exactly what I was going to say. You'd be good working here, kid!" The doctor says. Koyomi smiles, flattered.

"Your friends have told me that you, didn't fall far. That landing must have been rough. You've also broken your arm, and you have several strained tendons in your legs." He says.

"Damn that cat, then." I mutter, irritated, "When can I get out of here?"

"Tomorrow. Until then, rest, then I have a list of activities and exercises I want to you to so your back and leg muscles don't get stiff. Any questions?"

"Just one," I say eagerly, "when can I get back on my skateboard?"

My family members sigh knowingly. They probably both predicted me asking this question.

"I'd give it 4 weeks or so, just to be sure. It's not a bad sprain, but you need to let it heal or you'll hurt it easily."

As the doctor leaves the white room, I cross my arms across my chest, the action hurting the broken limb slightly but I resist the urge to appear happy.

One month. One month without skating. Can I even live for 30 whole days without being on a board?

Mum and Koyomi stay with me for a while, until they have to go home to the girls, who are apparently being looked after by Mum's friend.

"Oi, 'Yomi, come here!" I hiss.

"What?" She asks.

"How did you know that about spinal sprains?"

"Oh, it's interesting, y'know? Medicine fascinate me."

"You're so much smarter than me." I say.

"Damn right. Now, I can hear some dumbasses so..." She says lightly at the sound of approaching footsteps.

"Oh, okay. Wait, my dumbasses?!" I shriek excitedly, trying to sit up again, and failing again.

"Geez, alright! See you, then!"